August 29, 2018

A sad story


We knew a woman who had three children but was without a husband. I can’t remember if she was a single mom or a widow. What I do remember was her bold Christian testimony. She claimed faith in Jesus Christ and her desire to be in church and serve God.

I remember the day she told me she was going to do those things. She was happy and excited. The only problem that I could see with all of this is that she was living with a man and boasting also of that relationship. In those days, we called it “shacking up” and the Bible still calls it adultery or fornication.

I tried not to judge her yet wondered how the church in her community would deal with her lifestyle that did not match her claim to be a child of God. It turned out they didn’t have to. She was driving somewhere one day and came over a hill in the middle of the road only to meet head-on another vehicle. She was instantly killed.

I was shocked. Then the Holy Spirit reminded me of a spiritual principle: it is serious enough that unsaved sinners mock God, but believers play with fire if we do it. Was this judgment on her carelessness? I will never know, but I thought of this sad story when reading these verses from today’s devotional:

“So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, ‘Abba! Father!’” (Romans 8:12–15)

God did not save me so I could go on with life doing whatever my old nature (flesh) wants. The temptations for all sorts of sinful things come but the power of the Holy Spirit is in me; I can resist, I can say no to sin which is what salvation is all about.

However, I understand the power of the flesh and its desires. That woman was lonely, insecure and felt as if her needs would be met by a man in this world. If she knew the promises of God, she ignored them. He says:

“And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19)
“Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” (Hebrews 4:16)

A few days ago God pointed out to me that He will bless and give me joy through two things that I must do. I’ve easily skimmed over that verse because it is so simple, yet I see now the profound promises God is making:

“Blessed (happy) is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God.” (Psalm 146:5)

I talk and sing that happiness comes when I obey God. This verse goes a bit deeper to the foundation for obedience. It is two-fold; trusting God for help — no one or nothing else, and hoping in Him — no one or nothing else.

This is the key to living by the Spirit and putting to death the deeds and desires of the flesh. Those desires will still make themselves known, but rather than seek solutions elsewhere, I will be happy when I seek and find them in Jesus Christ.

^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I am sad that my sin can overtake and bring great disaster into my life, but I am overjoyed that You are my Savior. I do nothing to deserve Your grace yet You always reward trust with joy and blessing.

No comments: