August 27, 2018

Dying on my mind


The past week seems filled with death. A friend in our church was diagnosed with cancer and died in four weeks. Today we celebrated his extraordinary life. A neighbor who was told four years ago that her cancer would kill her in a few months lived until Friday, until she had enough and called for an assisted death. John McCain, one of the few political heroes left in this crazy world, has died. We have friends with family in India where flooding has killed hundreds and no one knows who has died or survived. Every day the news brings stories of shootings, hit and runs, accidents, and deadly crimes. If people are not thinking about death and dying, it would be a wonder.

The early Christians thought about it. Their world was as dangerous and violent as ours, maybe more. Their lifespan was shorter and persecution was normal. This is what the Apostle Paul said to them:

“For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this tent we groan, longing to put on our heavenly dwelling, if indeed by putting it on we may not be found naked. For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened—not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.” (2 Corinthians 5:1–5)

He calls this body a tent, a dwelling place. It is like the box that contains the ring, the container for the treasure of life — but not life itself. Silly us; we spend a lot of time caring for the container. I’ve not counted, but most magazines for women have a huge percentage of their pages devoted to ads for beauty products and clothing. We think more about how the box looks and neglect the inner person, our soul, our spiritual being.

Perhaps death has so many euphemisms because it makes us think about the folly of all that. If I spend an hour a day in front of a mirror and five minutes talking to God, what does that say about priorities? Do I work as diligently to please God with the kind of person I am as I do to please others with my appearance? Do I seek a healthy soul and a godly attitude as much as I seek health, well-being, and even physical life itself?

All this death certainly brings out our values. I know Christians who care very little about all the bad news. It does not make their prayer list. Some of them never read or listen to world news. Others get so wrapped up in it that they are fearful to step outside their homes. Is there a middle?

Death is a reminder that life is a gift but short, that God has something better ahead, and that our mortality will be swallowed up by eternal life. Death reminds me that this life is not all there is and I need to think about and prepare for the next life . . .

“Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.” (1 John 3:2–3)

As much as thoughts of death are unpleasant and sad, there is a sweetness in looking forward to seeing the face of Jesus. Instead of letting aging and dying push me to buy more anti-aging creams, get youthful haircuts, and buy the latest fashions, God wants me to continually focus on Jesus, and to quickly attend to the sin in my life — which is a far bigger challenge that hair dressers, malls, and getting rid of wrinkles!

^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I love those passages in the Bible that say things like, “They that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength” and the passages about restored youth and vigor, but I also love the one above that reminds me again of the shortness of life and the priorities I ought to have. No matter how young I might appear, this body will wear out and be replaced. Besides, it is only a container; the real person is inside and holding hands with You, the eternal One who never ages and who gave Your life that I can live forever with You.

No comments: