November 17, 2023

When times are tough

Today we fly home from the best vacation ever, two weeks with our daughter and son-in-law in a warmer part of the world amid 100-foot trees and a view out the window of four holes on a championship golf course. She is a perfect hostess but today is a tough day for them as her hubby is having surgery. MacArthur says that “focusing on heaven is the best way to endure difficulties on earth” but this will not work for everyone or in every situation. A focus on heaven for our SIL would be a focus on dying, likely adding to his anxiety. Besides, he is a doer and will not be able to do much for several weeks. He is asking God for patience.

Following God isn’t always easy. He is asking me for changes, not as scary as surgery but still challenging. He expects me to trust Him explicitly. He does not want my input on decisions that may impact me dramatically nor does He tell me His specific plans much ahead of time. I am not always sheltered from adversity and our SIL knows that for his situation too.

I also realize that God tests my faith to produce endurance and spiritual maturity. Those tests can be painful yet He says this:

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2–4)

This thought has settled into my mind and asks for a trust that nothing happens to me without a good reason; God is working all things together for good, that I might be more like Jesus. I can pray for that for our dear SIL, even though he may not realize it for a time as his trial is far from being joyful right now.

For me, thinking about Abraham is helpful too. This man had no Bible, no pastor, no sermons, no commentaries, and no Christian encouragement or accountability. He did have the promise of a nation, a land, and a blessing and that promise sustained him:

Now the Lord said to Abram, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you. And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.” (Genesis 12:1–3)

Yet Abraham never settled in that land, nor did his son Isaac or his grandson Jacob. They lived in tents.  Abraham never built houses or cities and only possessed the land by faith. Yet he patiently looked to God and did what He asked. He looked forward — whether or not he ever saw it in his lifetime . . . 

By faith he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God. (Hebrews 11:9–10)

The NT tells me to be heavenly minded. This is a cure for discouragement and spiritual fatigue: “If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.” (Colossians 3:1–4)

It also helps to think of God’s purposes for life here on earth. Jesus to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man” (Matthew 16:23) and Paul said, “For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.” (Romans 8:5–6)

This is the way to think in difficult times: God has a good purpose for this and in it, I can become more like Jesus so need to keep my mind on Him, facing the trial and trusting Him to do His transforming work.

PRAY: Jesus, You are my Savior. You save me from my fears and from giving in to self-centered thinking when life is tough and Your Spirit leads me to You in faith. You are a marvel, a wonderful help in times of need and a joy both then and in times of plenty. Be that for our SIL and surprise him with Your amazing grace.

PONDER: All the past trials and how God used them for His will to be done. Be thankful!

 

 

No comments: