November 27, 2023

Suffering for Christ?

 

In this past few weeks, Jewish and Muslim people all over the world identify themselves with those who are suffering in the conflict in Israel. In one way, I do too for I know that some who are in danger or who have lost their lives are members of the family of God. The bond between believers in Jesus is strong, often stronger than the bond between blood relatives.

While I cannot identify with sufferers from the past, I can understand how OT believers could identify with the suffering of their Messiah. Even though He had not yet appeared, they understood that He would be their Deliverer. Consider these verses. In this first one, God assured Abraham that he would be rewarded for his faith in God’s promises:

After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision: “Fear not, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great.” (Genesis 15:1)

Then in the NT, Jesus told the Jews that Abraham did receive that great reward:

Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” (John 8:56–58)

Moses was another one. He lived long before Jesus came, yet it was said of him:

He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward. By faith he left Egypt, not being afraid of the anger of the king, for he endured as seeing him who is invisible. (Hebrews 11:26–27)

The Messiah was identified as one with His people in that when they suffered for righteousness’ sake, they suffered in His place. David said:

For zeal for your house has consumed me, and the reproaches of those who reproach you have fallen on me. (Psalm 69:9)

Later, after Jesus came, was crucified, and rose from the dead, Paul (Saul at first) was confronted as he persecuted the church, and Jesus said to him:

“Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” And he said, “Who are you, Lord?” And he said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting." (Acts 9:4–5)

After this man’s life was changed and he became Paul, he said: “From now on let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus.” (Galatians 6:17)

He also said, “Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,” (2 Timothy 3:12) which is an affirmation that follows what Jesus told His disciples: “Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you . . . .” (John 15:20)

Aside from being treated like Jesus and identifying with Him in His suffering, He also identifies with us in our suffering because He is in it with us: “By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit.” (1 John 4:13) How vital to know that regardless of my situation, Jesus is here with me. Abraham, Moses, David, and Paul knew it, and the family of God knows it too. He will never leave us or forsake us.

PRAY: Jesus, Your Word says to “Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body.” (Hebrews 13:3) This unity with You extends to a unity with Your family. We are not only to bear Your reproach when You are spoken of in evil ways, but consider others who love You and suffer for it that we are also suffering. This explains the great ache in my heart for the people in the world who are persecuted because they have put their faith in You.

PONDER: I thank God for the privilege of bearing the hatred that the world aims at Christ. Thank God also for the truth of verses like Psalm 27:1 “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” Amen!

 

 

1 comment:

Elsie Montgomery said...

Oh, thank you. God is so good at speaking truth -- and you are not alone. Praying these days is a challenge and I'm thankful Jesus included "thy will be done" in His instructions for prayer! May He continue to bless you also. :-)