November 1, 2023

Faith says yes to God

 

When Jesus said people must become as little children to enter the kingdom of God, He meant the child who says, “I’m too little to do that” not that child who says, “Let me do it by myself.”

Faith is like that first child, but more. It is also “the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the people of old received their commendation.” (Hebrews 11:1–2) These ‘people of old’ did not know what God was going to do, but trusted Him to do right, even when they could not see Him or His plan.

Hebrews 11 points to how OT believers demonstrated faith. It reminds readers that without faith, we cannot please God. Those first readers included first-century Hebrew people who had abandoned true faith in God for a legalistic system of works-righteousness. They had forgotten the importance of faith. This message still applies because faith in Christ often slides into faith in human efforts and becomes a religion of rules called legalism.

This does not mean that people of faith can abandon doing what God asks. This is because faith changes lives. Because I genuinely believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, my life shows it. The writer of Hebrews affirms this:

And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works. (Hebrews 10:24)

Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. (Hebrews 12:14)

This means righteous works are the by-product of true salvation, not its means. This is plainly stated in many places such as:

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:8–10)

While many Christians think that the OT teaches otherwise, we need to realize that OT laws were written to show the people of God how to live in faith, just as the NT tells us what the life of faith looks like. No one is ever saved by their own efforts. These verses show the contrast:  

We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment. We all fade like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away. (Isaiah 64:6)

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— (Philippians 3:8–9)

Again, “faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the people of old received their commendation.” (Hebrews 11:1–2) This commendation was for believing the unseen God with that faith that ‘just knows’ what God says is right and true. It isn’t about being perfect in godly living, but godly living is evidence that He is in the life of those who truly believe.

PRAY: Jesus, faith is a gift. I remember the day You came into my living room and into my life. Suddenly, I believed — all that You are and had confidence that You were for me, not against me. I read a verse of Scripture and it just happened — You were there, and You have never forsaken me. Such a wonder that You should grant faith to those who so badly need You. My prayers continue for those who struggle to please You by their own efforts. May they realize that the way to Your heart is by faith, by ceasing their own efforts and instead believing You and what You say.

PONDER: How does the definition of faith apply to the challenges of today? Of this week? What do I hope for and what am I trusting God for? What self-effort do I need to confess?

 

 

No comments: