November 8, 2023

Be honest and pay attention

Today’s devotional makes me wonder how many times I’ve heard God give me an order or direction and I did not do what he said. The real issue in this question? Is God irresistible when He speaks to His people? Or do we have the power to say NO and thereby thwart the will of God for us?

This is the debate between Calvinists and Armenians, and between Bible scholars of all stripes. I cannot hope to settle the thing except to look at the first time this issue appears in Scripture. It pops up when two brothers brought sacrifices to God. One offering was brought in faith and with the realization that he needed to bring a sacrifice for sin. The other one brought the sacrifice normally given as a thank offering. While this offering had regulations yet was okay, dealing with sin always came before it.

In the course of time Cain brought to the Lord an offering of the fruit of the ground, and Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat portions. And the Lord had regard for Abel and his offering, but for Cain and his offering he had no regard. So Cain was very angry, and his face fell. (Genesis 4:3–5)

Perhaps Cain did not realize his sin problem, nor not want to admit it. I recall a staunch Armenian who stood up in a Bible study and said, “I do not sin any longer” — a claim no one believed. It also was in complete contrast to “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.” (1 John 1:8)

Even Cain’s reaction to being told his offering was not accepted was a denial of faith. Who did he think he was to be angry at Almighty God’s judgments? Or to think “I know better than You about such things”? Cain’s response was the reason that God told him:

“Why are you angry, and why has your face fallen? If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is contrary to you, but you must rule over it.” (Genesis 4:6–7)

In other words, if Cain would deal with his sin, he would be okay with God, but sin was the reason he was so contrary, and he needed to say YES to God’s evaluation to have the ability to rule over his sin. This was good news given to a man who didn’t want to hear it. He said NO and went out and killed his brother. After that, God judged him again and this man found out that sin has consequences. He could no longer live in Eden but was cast out to fend for himself. Still, God was merciful and promised to protect him . . . which seems like he was given another chance to admit his error.

The opposite is found in the NT when Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples.” (John 8:31) He was not looking for people like Cain who sin, will not admit it even when their sin becomes blatant. He was and still is looking for those who admit sin and follow up with obedience. Those who are “Doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.” (James 1:22)

This says that if I refuse to agree with God about my sin, I am going to be deceived, already deceived about sin, but also blinded to other realities.

Jesus said something else that is significant:

Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.” (John 8:47)

This means that those who are “of God” or in a saving relationship with Him and are His children and His followers will hear what God says. Those who deceive themselves by being contrary to what God says have a hearing problem and that is the least of their need.

PRAY: Jesus, I am not always listening as well as I should even when Your message about sin is loud and clear. I know that sin is always trying to turn me away from hearing You and that old nature wants to do my own thing rather than obey You. Shout if You must when I am stubborn and ignore Your loving whispers. Just keep at me until I get it and do it! Thank You for being patient with me. It is my goal to please You in all that I do, today and always.

PONDER: “Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.” (Hebrews 13:20–21)

.

No comments: