November 3, 2023

Faith always wins . . .

 

People generally act on what they believe. If I think my house is on fire, I will get out. If I think the airplane is reliable, I will get on it. If the deed says the property belongs to me, I will take possession of it.

Faith is defined by a word that means a legal document to effect a transfer of property and to show the legal right to possess it. That is, I possess eternal life and know it is mine because of faith. This explains why faith is a gift — I could not possibly write out that deed for myself; only God can do it for only God can give that kind of life.

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1)

MacArthur says that these two phrases are almost identical in that faith is both the evidence of what I possess, but this evidence is a deep conviction, evidence that makes a person fully agree, understand, and realize the truth or validity of something. Whether in an argument or discussion, the assurance that faith gives is so strong that it cannot be overturned by challenges to it.

How then does doubt get in? When I take my eyes and mind off what God says and begin to look at what I can see, and the devil comes along with his lies, and my faith is attacked. What then will rescue me or save me from such attacks? First, confession of doubt, like the father said to Jesus regarding deliverance for his son: “I believe; help my unbelief” but the next necessary remedy is going to the source:

Faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. (Romans 10:17)

Get back into the Word of God. Get out to church. Get hold of a Spirit-filled Christian. Call for help. Damaged faith refuses to stay that way for long. Joy is gone. Peace with God is gone. The desire to pray is gone. But the assurance of true faith refuses to fully leave. Instead, it runs to the Word, and to other Christians to hear truth, and to Abba and climbs into His lap until faith is hugged back into the heart and mind. “Yield to God, resist the devil, and he will flee.” (James 4:7)

This is why James could affirm that “As the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.” (James 2:26) He knew that true faith goes beyond assurance to action. Even under attack and even if doubt is overwhelming, true faith fights back. It knows that what can be seen cannot be trusted because the unseen God is involved in it and faith deeply knows that. Even though we cannot see Him, God is busy and we know it, even when what we can see temporarily distracts us. In contrast, a non-responsive faith is no faith at all.

By faith (Moses) left Egypt, not being afraid of the anger of the king, for he endured as seeing him who is invisible. (Hebrews 11:27)

Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:8–9)

Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” (John 20:29)

Noah had a responsive faith. He had never seen rain and knew nothing about building a ship. Still, he followed God’s instructions and endured 120 years of hard work and ridicule because he believed God was telling the truth.

Daniel faced a life-threatening situation yet trusted his God who he could not see rather than bow to a king he could see. Being eaten by lions was a better choice than compromising his trust in God. And God honored his faith by shutting the mouth of those hungry lions.

PRAY: Jesus, I’m thankful that You restore us when we begin to doubt, and I say begin because You will not let doubt finish its work. When I sing “Amazing grace” I should also sing “Amazing Faith” for both are marvelous gifts of love from You — not at all earned or deserved, yet wonderfully life-changing.

PONDER: Think about the choices I must make today and how I can respond to them with faith in the God I cannot see but can trust with all my heart.

 

 

No comments: