November 28, 2023

Come on, blood on the door posts?

 

When God says to pray without ceasing or pray about everything, it could seem trivial to pray for parking places and other conveniences for life. Yet He shows me that He cares. Also, any ‘trivia’ that happens could be His will for me, so why not pray about it?

Our Monday night’s Bible study often leaves me awake thinking about our conversations and prayers, so I asked God that I would instantly go to sleep and wake up at 7:30. Trivia — in a world of far more important needs and situations requiring prayer. However, I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow, and woke up at 7:30.

God is in the details. He often does unusual things in answer to prayer. When the Israelites were in slavery in Egypt, the people wanted out. Moses prayed for what seemed impossible. Pharaoh wasn’t about to let two or three million slaves just pack up and leave. His army was ready to stop them, but when God does something, He cannot be stopped. Yet, when His answer came, it seemed very odd.

First, He sent ten terrifying plagues. In hindsight, we can see that these were designed to change Pharaoh’s mind. Yet at the time, how odd they must have seemed, so odd that how could this be part of the answer? Not only that, each one effected Pharaoh, but only for a brief time and he persisted in saying no way to Moses’ requests. The tenth and worst plague was the death of all the first-born.

Moses said, “Thus says the Lord: ‘About midnight I will go out in the midst of Egypt, and every firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sits on his throne, even to the firstborn of the slave girl who is behind the handmill, and all the firstborn of the cattle. (Exodus 11:4–5)

Since this applied to all, the Israelites needed protection. God told them to sprinkle the blood of a lamb on the doorposts and lintels of their homes. Then, when the angel of death saw the blood, he passed over that house. This instituted the Passover, but did the people of that time wonder how blood smeared on their doors could have power to stave off the death angel? Nonetheless, its presence demonstrated faith and obedience. It also symbolizing the future sacrifice of Christ and His power to remove sin and give life. The NT begins His story with:

The next day (John the Baptist) saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29)

Pharaoh got the message as his people wailed over all that death. Then he allowed the  Israelites to leave, but he changed his mind again and sent his army after them. But God intervened:

By faith (Moses) kept the Passover and sprinkled the blood, so that the Destroyer of the firstborn might not touch them. By faith the people crossed the Red Sea as on dry land, but the Egyptians, when they attempted to do the same, were drowned. (Hebrews 11:28–29)

Think of what the people of God were thinking during all this. Plagues that affected them too? Blood on their doors? This was God’s answer to their prayers? How odd, at least at first. Sometimes our prayers are odd, but God’s answers are hardly ever what we expect. When I prayed last night, part of me laughed at myself because I expected to be awake wondering about the Bible study conversations, not sleeping well or long, and being awake far too early, or oversleeping because I was so tired.

The Passover demonstrates that God’s provisions are always just right, even though they may seem foolish to the human intellect. The NT says that “The word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God” (1 Corinthians 1:18) yet He teaches us that we can accept and rejoice in His provisions, no matter how pointless some of them may seem and even when our requests seem too trivial to bring before the Almighty God of the universe.

PRAY: Jesus, all of this is humbling. I really don’t know Your will, yet You are showing me that Your heart is for me, that You want the best for me. Sometimes my requests are simply selfish. Many times, they are from physical needs for health or strength or even sleep. You know what is best for my situations and are showing me that I can trust You with all of them, little or huge. You care and You have the power to do anything. Again, I am in awe of You. (More examples

PONDER: Think about the way God took me from slavery to sin and how He used negatives to bring me home to His heart, negatives I would never have picked for myself. May I rejoice in trials knowing that God is using them to have His will done in my life. What a wonder — and a delight!

 

 

No comments: