July 31, 2022

Why God saves . . .

 

READ Romans 9–12

While living in California, we went to a church where the pastor often said, “We ask the wrong question. Instead of wondering why some are saved and some are not, we should ask why God saves anyone.”

Sometimes I focus on that wrong question and become depressed, even frustrated with God. However, the pastor’s remark settles my heart. For one thing, why did God save me? I did nothing to earn or deserve the remarkable privilege of being His child. I don’t get it, at least I didn’t for a long time.

As Romans 9–11 make clear, most of Israel didn’t get it either. Salvation is about faith in God and a changed life. They tried to change their lives without faith:

And Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: “Though the number of the sons of Israel be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant of them will be saved, for the Lord will carry out his sentence upon the earth fully and without delay.” And as Isaiah predicted, “If the Lord of hosts had not left us offspring, we would have been like Sodom and become like Gomorrah.” What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith; but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness did not succeed in reaching that law. Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone, as it is written, “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense; and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.” (Romans 9:27–33)

How easily that happens. I have faith and sometimes apologize to God for my lack of obedience as if obedience is my salvation, as if pridefully relying on what I do or do not do will made a difference in my standing before God. As granny used to say, “Horse feathers!”

Israel did “have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge.” They were “ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.” (Romans 10:1–4)

This faith that saves is trusting the Person and work of Jesus. If we “confess with our mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in our heart that God raised him from the dead, we will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.” Romans 10 is clear: “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame . . .  there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” And this faith “comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ” not from what we do or don’t do.

So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace. But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace. (Romans 11:5–6)

If I insist that my actions can save me, that negates grace and makes God a liar, for He clearly says that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” All. Me included. What is left to say but this:

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! (Romans 11:33)

Chapter 12 tells how to live as a person of faith: Present myself to God and be transformed in the way I think. Don’t let the world determine my thoughts and actions; only live by the will of God. This means: drop pride, be part of His people, use whatever gifts He has given me, love one another, hate evil, and overcome evil with good. All those things are impossible without first having faith, the kind of faith where Jesus comes to live in me and empowers me to do His will. Otherwise I fall short.

Again, why does God save anyone? So that He, the invisible God, will be glorified on earth and seen by sinful people in the lives of those He has transformed and who share with them the wonderful message of what Christ has done. We are His mouthpiece, His messengers, His family — by grace and grace alone.

 

No comments: