July 15, 2022

A Battle Plan?

READ Judges 6–10

Gideon’s story fascinates me yet seems like a far-away illustration of God using a weak man to do the impossible. I’ve not considered it as a way to live or a plan for anyone else. Yet today, God seems to be challenging me to follow this story and go to battle with something far more powerful than I could possibly defeat.

Without going into details about the ‘enemy’ that I face, here is an outline of what happened to Gideon, a member of the clan of Manasseh one of Joseph’s sons. He was living in a time when God’s people were not obeying Him and they struggled with the Midianites who robbed them of all fruits of their labor. I can relate to that.

Now the angel of the Lord came and sat under the terebinth at Ophrah, which belonged to Joash the Abiezrite, while his son Gideon was beating out wheat in the winepress to hide it from the Midianites. And the angel of the Lord appeared to him and said to him, “The Lord is with you, O mighty man of valor.” And Gideon said to him, “Please, my lord, if the Lord is with us, why then has all this happened to us? And where are all his wonderful deeds that our fathers recounted to us, saying, ‘Did not the Lord bring us up from Egypt?’ But now the Lord has forsaken us and given us into the hand of Midian.” (Judges 6:11–13)

Right away, Gideon questioned the Lord’s word that He was present, but the Lord replied, “Go in this might of yours and save Israel from the hand of Midian; do not I send you?” Gideon replied, “Please, Lord, how can I save Israel? Behold, my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father’s house.” And the Lord said to him, “But I will be with you, and you shall strike the Midianites as one man.” Gideon responded, “If now I have found favor in your eyes, then show me a sign that it is you who speak with me. Please do not depart from here until I come to you and bring out my present and set it before you.” And the Lord said, “I will stay till you return.” (Judges 6:14–18)

Gideon’s offering was accepted by fire and that filled him with fear, but the Lord assured him and gave him peace. Then He told him to remove the idols his father had, then burn a second offering using them for the fuel, which Gideon did — at night because he was afraid he would be seen. When the townsmen protested, Gideon’s father surprisingly said, “If he is a god (Baal), he can contend for himself.” Then . . .

The Spirit of the Lord clothed Gideon, and he sounded the trumpet, and the Abiezrites were called out to follow him. And he sent messengers throughout all Manasseh, and they too were called out to follow him. And he sent messengers to Asher, Zebulun, and Naphtali, and they went up to meet them. (Judges 6:34–35)

God called His people to support Gideon in what he was going to do, yet this man was still not certain. Two times he asked for signs that God really wanted him to take on this enemy and two times God affirmed him, then again when he overheard words of fear in the Midian camp. With that, God dismissed Gideon’s fear and this man worshipped.

Then God reduced the size of Gideon’s army lest the people took credit for what He was going to do. He led a battle plan so simple and so ridiculous that who would think it would work, but it did.

After the Midianites were defeated, Gideon was criticized and handled that well, but he allowed himself to be put on a pedestal when he should have refused to let God’s people bow to anything or anyone except the Lord God who gave them this incredible release from their bondage to demonic idols. The rest of this reading reminds me to rely on God to finish what He starts, not depending on anyone else, even those who come after me. His people once again turned away from Him to idols, showing how much we need, and I need, the saving, keeping power of Jesus Christ.

Lord, You give me an outline of action that fits a situation in my life, an enemy I face that has taken over the life of someone I love. I’m as weak and uncertain as Gideon and need affirmation. I also need an army of others who will stand with me in prayer to win this battle. Again, I am fearful. Show me this is not just a fanciful interpretation. If it is really from You, affirm it to me and give me total clarity on what You next want from me. Enable me to be faithful and stay that way. Thanking You in advance . . . Amen!

 

No comments: