July 18, 2022

Not in heaven yet . . .

 

READ Mark 1–4

Yesterday a younger woman and I shared a bit about self-esteem struggles, chuckling that despite our age difference, we had so much in common. At the end of our conversation, we felt that we had known each other forever, even though we just met. After thinking about this and other similar experiences, I am convinced of the value of transparency, being open about our problems and failures. It binds us together. Sharing accomplishments or hiding behind layers usually does not do that.

Today’s reading begins with John the Baptist preparing the way for Jesus by proclaiming a baptism of repentance. People responded in droves. Whatever motivated them, they knew the value of being transparent by admitting their sins and they did it publicly.

When Jesus asked to be baptized, He explained that it was an act of obedience. John knew repentance was not the issue. This was the Father’s will so he did it. Obedience was the issue, just as it always is for me. Everything God asks me to do involves obedience — based on faith. I trust Him and demonstrate it by doing what He says, even if it seems illogical . . . unlike the OT people in Judges who “did what was right in their own eyes.”

After Jesus obeyed, He was tested even more. “The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. And he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan . . . .” (Mark 1:12–13)

He passed the tests, began to proclaim the Gospel, initiated followers, demonstrated His power over evil spirits, illness, even the weather, and showed how vital prayer is when trusting the Father’s guidance. As I read these chapters, I could see the results of His obedience. Sometimes I expect a ‘rose garden’ but that was not true for Jesus and it is not true for me. A quick outline shows some results for Jesus, many that I experience or can expect when I do what my Father wants me to do.

One note: He may ask me to be quiet. For example, a leper came to him asking to be made clean. Jesus was moved with pity and stretched out his hand and touched him saying, “I will; be clean.” And immediately the leprosy left him, and he was made clean. Then Jesus sternly charged him and sent him away saying, “See that you say nothing to anyone, but go, show yourself to the priest and offer for your cleansing what Moses commanded, for a proof to them.” However the man “went out and began to talk freely about it, and to spread the news, so that Jesus could no longer openly enter a town, but was out in desolate places, and people were coming to him from every quarter.” (Mark 1:40-45)

This story tells me that speaking when I am told to shut up can limit Jesus’ activity. I cannot stop what He is doing, but could change the parameters. Not good.

As well as that lesson, I can see that by obeying His Father, Jesus lost popularity with some. He also forgave sins and demonstrated supernatural power. The crowds loved Him but some wanted to destroy Him because of these things. If I am more like Jesus, would these things also happen to me?

Jesus also ate and drank with sinners, accepted those others rejected, refused to get involved in meaningless religious rituals, did good on the Sabbath, experienced family members thinking He was crazy and others decided He was demonic (and as long as they do, that is unforgiveable), and considered Himself a brother to all who believed.

These results also happen to those who follow Jesus. Yes, we are blessed yet the blessing is not always a rose garden; it can be deep peace and joy in the midst of very difficult circumstances. The point is, when we share with others the roses and leave out the weeds, it creates in them a sense of being inferior, of somehow missing out on God’s best. But when we share the trials and troubles those who hear it are actually edified and blessed — just the opposite of what seems right.

Paul learned this. He wrote about his experiences and shared a major problem by admitting this one:

So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:7–10)

He realized that in sharing his lows as well as his highs, he did a great service to anyone who wants the Christian life to be totally wonderful yet sadly realize that we are not in heaven yet!

 

No comments: