July 14, 2022

One Day — no more ups and downs

 

READ Judges 1–5

The OT book of Judges could easily describe our modern world and certainly parts of my life as I learn to walk with God. In the beginning, God wanted His people to obey Him and not get caught up in doing things the way that those without faith do things. I knew I was to rid myself of sinful attitudes and actions. Looking back, I can see how this process is like pruning a tree. The arborist begins with cutting off the obvious bad wood with an axe. He then lops off the offending smaller branches, eventually using smaller equipment.

The Holy Spirit works on sin like that. Some are big, obvious, rotten and hurtful to others around me. Some are attitude issues that produce unkindness, selfish actions, and unreliable and inconsistent behavior. Some are hidden yet nevertheless sinful, such as doing things my own way which may not appear overtly sinful to others, but God’s goal is that I am like Jesus, and Jesus was never given to ‘my way’ rather than His Father’s way.

In the OT, the people of God sometimes followed God and sometimes fell into sin. Judges records a time when, “In those days there was no king in Israel. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.” (Judges 17:6) No matter how that might seem to them, they were ignoring the leadership of their Lord and wound up in trouble. However, He was still their Savior and came to their rescue:

Whenever the Lord raised up judges for them, the Lord was with the judge, and he saved them from the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge. For the Lord was moved to pity by their groaning because of those who afflicted and oppressed them. (Judges 2:18)

There is a great difference between an elected leader and one chosen by God. The Lord knew both who and what the people needed. As I think back on many struggles with sin, God put people in my life that were helpful. Those He choose were never perfect, but anyone who can be transparent and humble and who glorifies God, always have a great influence on me — because I tend to keep my failures to myself and be ruled by pride, robbing Him of the glory He deserves.

Today’s devotional writer points out that the Lord was with those OT judges. He calls that a “deciding factor” in the life of a leader. Gifts and training might be helpful, but God’s presence and guidance assures godliness and victory. It transcends what I can see, even though I remember one man; standing beside him made me feel as if I was standing beside the Lord. He exuded spiritual authority but also incredible kindness and grace. Those people have influence. Selfish or grandstanding leaders do not.

Again, when His people were oppressed because of their sin, they called on the Lord who then sent a judge or judges to rescue them. This happened many times, which is sad in that they never seemed to learn and fell away from following Him after He rescued them. I can relate to this!

However, the NT tells a different story. Though there are warnings about falling away and about failing the tests and trials that will happen, the Lord gives me verses like these:

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)

Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thessalonians 5:23)

Salvation and eternal life are just that; rescued from the penalty and power of sin and given a new life that lasts for eternity. We who believe in Jesus will be tested, be we can also rejoice because that on/off/on/off pattern in Judges has been tossed aside by the Lord Jesus Christ.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 1:3–7)

Jesus, I know those OT ups and downs, but I also know the precious power that is mine because of what You have done at the cross and that You came out from the tomb. Because You live, I live also!

 

No comments: