May 27, 2021

What gives God Pleasure?

 

People have told me that they were raised with the idea that certain actions pleased or displeased God. For them, this was a list of do’s and don’ts that either turned them away from faith or turned them into legalists who faked godliness and piety without a heart for it.

This morning I was singing “Just as I am” and wondering how legalists cope with that familiar altar call from Billy Graham crusades. If the rules are ignored, does He still welcome us? Exactly what does PLEASE God?

The OT verb rāšâ means “to be pleased, accept, delight in.” It is used in the context of God’s response to sacrifices, not only what was being offered but the attitude of the one offering it. He called for sincere faithfulness as David prayed in 1 Chronicles 29:17:

“I know, my God, that you test the heart and have pleasure in uprightness. In the uprightness of my heart I have freely offered all these things, and now I have seen your people, who are present here, offering freely and joyously to you.”

After David sinned with Bathsheba, he also said in Psalm 51:16-17:

“For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; you will not be pleased with a burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.”

Other verses say that God takes pleasure in those who fear Him, and in those who hope in His steadfast love. He also delights in His people and treats us with mercy and grace, not because of who or what we are but because of who He is. From this and other passages, I am convinced that my attitude is more of a concern to God than my actions, yet there are activities that must stay out of my life, like stealing, lying and so on.

The NT also points to motives. Romans 8:8 says, “Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.” This means that pleasing God involves walking in the power of the Holy Spirit. No matter how pious my actions may appear, if my reason and source of strength is me and not Him, He is not pleased. This is especially true if my heart is boastful of my goodness.

1 Thessalonians 2:4 points to a related motive for serving God. He entrusts us with the gospel, but as this verse says, I must speak it to others as “not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts.” Romans 15:1–3 adds to that:

“We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. For Christ did not please himself, but as it is written, ‘The reproaches of those who reproached you fell on me.’”

It is easy (and sinful) to do the will of God only to make myself feel or look good to others.

On the positive side, God was pleased with His Son, pleased that His fullness dwelt in Jesus and pleased that He revealed Jesus through Paul (and others who serve Him). He is also pleased with His plan to save people through the “foolishness of preaching.”

Those who experience legalism in their childhood tell of being forbidden to play outside, enjoy a game with friends, or even watch television. Yet surprisingly, Colossians 3:20 says, “Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.” It isn’t the do’s and don’t's that give God pleasure but the attitude of the children in doing what their parents say, even if the parents are more into ‘rules’ than being Spirit-led.

This tells me that God looks for humble submission to authority, especially when I am trusting Him. Hebrews 11:6 says. “Without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.” Childlike trust pleases God.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. The OT says in Psalm 16:11: “You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.” Seeking God’s face and learning what pleases Him pleases me too. Like  Eric Liddell, a devout Scottish Christian who ran for the glory of God, said: “When I run, I feel His pleasure.” I know that when I do what God wants, even if it is challenging at the time, I also feel His pleasure — because He lives in me and lets me feel what He feels.

The very idea that I can do anything that pleases God is humbling. It also involves a fine line. If I start doing the will of God because it makes me feel good, I could be making an idol out of those actions instead of doing them for God’s glory. It is the same with His promise in 1 John 3:22 that says my prayers will be answered “because (I) keep his commandments and do what pleases him.” When my motives switch from pleasing God to pleasing myself, I’ve missed the whole point of being His child.

 

No comments: