May 25, 2021

A perfectionist?

 

Amish quilters are reported to put mistakes in their beautiful quilts. They do it because “only God is perfect.” As a quiltmaker, my mistakes are not deliberate; as in life itself, they just happen. However, Jesus did say in Matthew 5:48, “You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

PERFECT, at least in this text, means being complete of its kind and without defect or blemish. It can also be translated as mature, an English word easier to handle than the idea of perfection without defects.

In the OT, the word is usually applied to animals intended for sacrificial offerings. However, God is also described as perfect in His ways, His knowledge and His law . . .

2 Samuel 22:31. “This God—his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.”

Job 37:16. “Do you know the balancing of the clouds, the wondrous works of him who is perfect in knowledge.”

Psalm 19:7. “The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.”

The NT word Jesus used to say God is perfect is “teleios” and can mean “perfect, mature, complete” or refer to something of the highest standard, or fully developed, or to be perfect or complete in a moral sense. In context, Jesus is telling me to love all, even my enemies, and do good to them just as God in common grace sends rain on both the just and the unjust.

1 Timothy 1:16 adds that Paul considered himself chief of sinners, but Jesus Christ was merciful to him to “display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.”

James 1:4 uses the same word concerning patience under trials. James says to realize the purpose of trials is to build patience and I am to cooperate in that process by letting “steadfastness have its full effect, that (I) may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” It helps to remember that this virtue reveals the depth of my faith — without patience, I reveal that I am not trusting the Lord.

This verses also echoes the words of the prophet in Isaiah 26:3, “You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.” Trust and peace go hand in hand and for that, God grants perfect peace.

Another reason to trust God in trials is in Hebrews. It says Jesus was made perfect through suffering and by that become the source of my salvation. Suffering and learning from suffering puts me in good company.

James also uses this term concerning our speech: James 3:2, “For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body.” Since the commands of God reflect who He is and what He is like, from this I know my perfect God does not sin or fall short in what He says! He controls all that He does and His perfections show up in His Word and His actions. His will is perfect and knowing that changes the way I think about everything else . . .

Romans 12:2. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. This goal seems impossible. Unlike the Amish, I don’t need to add mistakes to show I’m not perfect. My imperfections are easily seen, yet an odd thing about human inability to be perfect makes God’s people candidates for His perfections. As 2 Corinthians 12:9 says, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” That is amazing! In other words, to be what God wants, I must rely totally on Him for I cannot be perfect by my own efforts. Being perfect cannot happen without being weak and unable.

Philippians 3:12 adds another thought. I have not obtained this or am perfect, but I press on to make it my own, in faith and trusting Christ Jesus who has made me his own. It is a learning curve with lessons taught in the classroom of trials and challenges. Yet there is reason to be joyful about trials. 1 John 3:2–3 could say something like this: “Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him perfects himself as he is perfect.” In the plan of God, one day I will be like Jesus and that hope makes the process easier — even though most of the time it doesn’t feel like it.

 

No comments: