May 15, 2021

A Miracle is a shout from God to pay attention!

 

The average person uses the word MIRACLE rather loosely. By definition, it is not the same as a pleasant coincidence or an ordinary success or outcome. A miracle is “a marvelous event manifesting a supernatural act of a divine agent; often deviating from the normal course (or laws) of nature” or in other words, it is God doing something we normally do not see or expect.

I have heard of some but not experienced many miracles firsthand — that I know of. God often does things behind the scenes, like healing an incurable disease, or rescuing someone from certain death, or acting in ways we might not realize that it was Him was orchestrating His plans.

I’ve posted one about the person who received a note on their vehicle when parked in an area with no people. It was a message from God without any clue how it got there or who wrote it. That person experienced a dramatic change in their life because of that message.

Another time, a woman obsessed with suicidal thoughts was told, “You need Jesus” and was instantly delivered from those terrible thoughts. I know of others whose tumors ‘disappeared’ after prayer for them. My hubby also was healed of an incurable ailment while he was praying for someone else who was sick.

Since God designed the laws of nature and since He is powerful and has no limits to what He can do, miracles are totally possible. The Scriptures give evidence to many, and all of them send a message to people.

In the OT story of the Exodus, God delivered His people from slavery in Egypt. He used many miracles to convince His people and the Egyptians that He was at work, things like swarms of frogs and gnats, darkness in daytime, and water turned to blood. He also controlled the responses to those miracles, which in itself is another supernatural act . . .

Exodus 3:20. So I will stretch out my hand and strike Egypt with all the wonders that I will do in it; after that he will let you go.

Exodus 4:21. And the Lord said to Moses, “When you go back to Egypt, see that you do before Pharaoh all the miracles that I have put in your power. But I will harden his heart, so that he will not let the people go.

Biblical miracles were done during special times when God was revealing Himself and His power. Jesus is never said to play games with His power to perform them. He healed diseases, cleansed lepers, and turned water into wine for a reason; all these were faith-builders done to reveal His identity as the Son of God.

John 2:23. Now when he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many believed in his name when they saw the signs that he was doing.

God sometimes gives His servants the ability to perform miracles. Acts 19:11 says, “God was doing extraordinary miracles by the hands of Paul” and when writing about spiritual gifts, Paul included “the working of miracles” in the list. However, in a later verse, he said that loving others took priority over all those gifts, making the love of God a miracle in itself.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. I can relate to that. I remember two miracles that happened in one day. The first was that the Lord Jesus Christ came into my living room and revealed truth to me, truth that changed my life. That was a miracle. I immediately noticed that my attitude toward people changed; I was loving them. That was the second miracle. I’d tried to be a loving person but that did not happen until Jesus gave me new life in Him.

In my thinking, a miracle is a work of God designed to open hearts to the reality of His saving grace. It isn’t about showing off or having something amazing to delight us. If anyone experiences a genuine miracle, they need to seek the God who performs miracles and ask for another one in their own heart . . .

Hebrews 2:3–4. “How shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? It was declared at first by the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard, while God also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.”

 

No comments: