May 26, 2021

Making Plans . . .

 

This morning began with an evaluation of the past few days. They all seemed scattered with chores not getting done or interrupted. Procrastination and frustration partner to make me wonder about better planning.

At the same time, these verses came to mind as a caution that the will of God must be in the planning:

Proverbs 16:9. The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.

Jeremiah 10:23. I know, O Lord, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.

Then there is that passage in James that warns against boasting in my plans rather and leaving God out of them. It ends with, “Whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.”

Then I thought, isn’t God a planner? Doesn’t He have a schedule? I was soon chuckling because by divine providence, I discovered my word for today is PLAN.

Scripture says much about God’s plans. In general, the history of the world is in His hands. A word book adds this from the OT use of this word plan:

“When used of God, it refers to his plans for humanity and his reactions to human activity. Thus, God plans protection for his people, and when they sin, he plans punishment for them. Ultimately, God’s plans are too deep for human understanding and are eternal. One implication of this word is that God’s plan for humanity (and by extension, for individual humans) is thoughtful, intricate, detailed, and intentional. God’s choice of individuals for salvation, blessing, or calling is calculated and the result of careful consideration and, perhaps, evaluation.”

Jeremiah 29:11 makes obvious that His plan is good: “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”

Are the plans of God general or specific? I’d say both. The above verse is general, but today He put thoughts in my head about planning then pointed me to that specific topic! This cannot be a coincidence and often happens.

The major plan of God presented in Scripture is His plan of salvation. This is marvelously presented in Ephesians 1:5–10.

“(God) predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.”

The scope of this plan is declared in Acts 2:23 by Peter, “This Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men.” God planned redemption before the foundation of the world.

In contrast to human plans, God’s plans are vast and last forever. Psalm 33:11. “The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of his heart to all generations.” Obviously, Isaiah 55:9 is correct in saying, “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” I cannot know what tomorrow will bring and, in a moment, circumstances can change everything. However, I can do better in setting goals and being more God-like in my efforts to accomplish them.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. Considering God’s ways makes a difference in planning, but I need to consider the differences. God can plan but only He can declare “My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose.” He plans with foresight, forethought, care, and even at creation He already determined the whole course of history. He even draws sinful human actions into fulfilling His divine plan. I don’t have that power.

God can also stop my plans. Psalm 33:10 says, “The Lord brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; he frustrates the plans of the peoples.” This means, as James says, to consider the will of God in planning and being willing to have my plans interrupted by something else that He wants for me or from me. Unlike God, I don’t know these things ahead of time, but keeping in tune with Him means having the discernment to know if the interruption is His idea or a swipe from the enemy to throw me off target. Also, some of God’s ideas could be unpleasant, yet as Jesus said, “Not my will but thine be done.”

Proverbs 12:20 is a good place to start any plan: “Deceit is in the heart of those who devise evil, but those who plan peace have joy.”

 

No comments: