May 24, 2021

Peace Beyond Comprehension

The story goes that an art contest offered a prize for the best depiction of PEACE. Several entries were idyllic scenes of countryside beauty, but the winning painting depicted a bird with no fear in her eyes as she sat on her nest located high on a steep and rocky cliff during a raging storm. I don’t know if that is a true story, but it does depict a bit of what the PEACE of God is like.

There are a few ways to look at peace as far as Scripture is concerned. One is peace with others as in absence of conflict. One is peace with God in which all division caused by our sin is removed. This is secured by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ and no matter what goes on in the emotions of those who have it, it is secure, a status rather than a feeling or condition. However, it is the basis or beginning for knowing another kind of peace that is given to all those made righteous by faith.

Isaiah 32:17. And the effect of righteousness will be peace, and the result of righteousness, quietness and trust forever.

This points to another peace, the peace OF God. This is an emotion. It also comes from Jesus Christ as a fruit of the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 2:14 says, “For he himself is our peace . . . .” It can best be described as being calm no matter what is happening. This calm comes from knowing without a doubt that God is in control, yet has one distinctive: it cannot be conjured up at will — it is an incredible gift from the Lord.

Philippians 4:5–7.  “. . . The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

The best we can do is keep our focus on the Lord (Isaiah 26:3 says, “You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you”) because this peace makes no sense and seems impossible unless it is experienced, especially during a trial. For me, the first time was during severe back pain. When God poured out His peace, the pain did not go away but that peace overwhelmed it and made it nothing compared to the sense of God being sovereign and with me in it.

Since then, scary issues have come up and His peace has made them seem trivial. This peace is a state of being that lacks nothing and has no fear of being troubled in its tranquility; it is euphoria coupled with security. It is the kind of peace that makes people say, “I don’t know how you can be so calm.” Yet it is not my doing; this is from the God of peace. Not all people can receive it, only those who have been reconciled to God.

At times, this concept of peace helps me discern where disorder comes from, either in others or in my own life. 1 Corinthians 14:33 says that “God is not a God of confusion but of peace . . . .” so I know He is not behind the messy situation, or the turmoil in my mind, or even the messy condition of my home.  This means I need to turn to Him for the harmony that His peace brings, pursuing peace with everyone, and also being a peacemaker.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. Knowing the source of inner peace is God helps me with many issues. A simple one is applying Proverbs 17:1. It simply says, “Better is a dry morsel with quiet than a house full of feasting with strife” which tells me that peace is a greater blessing than whatever externals I could strive for. Having a home where there is no squabbling is one thing, but also having a heart that enjoys peace more than always wanting something ‘bigger, better, more’ and never being happy and constantly fighting to have my way. God’s way of peace changes life, exposes the big picture. He can be trusted to take care of me. My nest will not fall off the cliff. The rain will not ruin my day. I don’t need a perfect scenario to be at peace; I just need the Prince of Peace who is far better at giving it than any other option!

 

No comments: