April 3, 2021

Why do we get sick?

 

This day, as every day, the news starts out with Covid statistics. Most of us are tired of hearing about new cases, daily deaths, and how many people are hospitalized. Besides that, today’s newspaper had horrific pictures of a train crash where people were injured or killed. The stats are not good concerning suicides, overdoses, and multiple shootings and show that cancer is as deadly as Covid, perhaps more.

I would like to see some statistics on healing. How many recovered from illness today? How many walked out of the hospital or other care facilities in good health? How many are doing well and enjoying life and safety?

That said, some illness we bring on ourselves. If I mock my body with bad habits in food choices, no exercise, and the tension of continual worry, it will retaliate with lousy health, even death.

Habits with consequences is not a new phenomenon. In the OT, Exodus 15:26 God says, “If you will diligently listen to the voice of the Lord your God, and do that which is right in his eyes, and give ear to his commandments and keep all his statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you that I put on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, your HEALER.”

While not all illness is caused by a deliberate mocking of God, books have been written on how a life of faith that includes peace, assurance and obedience to good habits has a definite effect on our well-being. At the same time, sickness is common even though the Bible tells of the HEALING power of God? He created us and certainly knows how every part works and what is going on when something does not work. Body wellness is just part of what He can heal. Many of His promises include restoring a good life, relationships, and most important the healing of sin and its power to destroy. This Easter, the message is preached all over the world of what Jesus Christ did two thousand plus years ago:

Isaiah 53:5. But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed.

While some insist this verse is about physical healing, the first part of the verse focuses on sin and that awful loss of peace with God. This ‘peace’ relates to the Hebrew meaning of “Shalom” which is far more than a greeting. It means total well-being, safety, prosperity, intactness, wholeness with a focus on security. It includes a good life with feelings of satisfaction, well-being, and contentment. In other words, peace with God brings  completeness, including health, prosperity, safety and well-being.

As for physical wellness, Jesus did miraculous healings often after teaching about the kingdom of God. These healings demonstrated God’s desire for His kingdom as well as displaying Jesus’ identity as Messiah. He proved God’s authority over illnesses and demonic forces that bound and incapacitated people.

This power does not exclude illness completely because faithful followers of Jesus Christ can get sick. The Bible shows several reasons including “chastening for sin” or “God glorified in the results” (either joy in suffering or a miraculous healing) or “this is the way He takes His servant home.” Illness is not always the biggest enemy nor is it an indication that God is neglecting His people.

Generally, HEALING in the NT is about being saved from sin yet sin so often results in physical issues. Even in the OT, David described what was going on in his body because of sin:

Psalm 38:3–10. There is no soundness in my flesh because of your indignation; there is no health in my bones because of my sin. For my iniquities have gone over my head; like a heavy burden, they are too heavy for me. My wounds stink and fester because of my foolishness, I am utterly bowed down and prostrate; all the day I go about mourning. For my sides are filled with burning, and there is no soundness in my flesh. I am feeble and crushed; I groan because of the tumult of my heart. O Lord, all my longing is before you; my sighing is not hidden from you. My heart throbs; my strength fails me, and the light of my eyes—it also has gone from me.

GAZE AT HIS GLORY. Requests for prayer often concern bodily sickness rather than going deeper for any possible causes. James 5:14–16 says: “Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.”

As I get older, I could blame some aches and pains on body parts wearing out, but I don’t want to miss this important command to include sin as a possible reason for anything I suffer.

 

No comments: