April 1, 2021

More than a Bodyguard . . .

 

A GUARD reminds me of those who stand motionless around the palace of a royal family wearing unique headgear and refusing to smile for the tourists. I also think of bodyguards, prison guards, and security people in hospitals and, because of Covid, also in grocery stores. Moms and dads guard their children and policemen guard the public as do other officials.

In the OT, almost all references to guards are in a human sense. Many of the verses quote the Lord telling His people to guard their place of worship and guard themselves or guard each other.

A few passages tell of Him guarding them, yet many of them put a caveat on that by saying His people need to do their part in guarding themselves also. In other words, if they obeyed, He would guard them, but not if they were going to be reckless.

Exodus 23:20–22. “Behold, I send an angel before you to guard you on the way and to bring you to the place that I have prepared. Pay careful attention to him and obey his voice; do not rebel against him, for he will not pardon your transgression, for my name is in him. But if you carefully obey his voice and do all that I say, then I will be an enemy to your enemies and an adversary to your adversaries.”

Nehemiah 4:8–9. And they all plotted together to come and fight against Jerusalem and to cause confusion in it. And we prayed to our God AND set a guard as a protection against them day and night.

God’s guardianship is for those who walk with Him. He says in 1 Samuel 2:9 the enemies may be powerful but: “He will guard the feet of his faithful ones, but the wicked shall be cut off in darkness, for not by might shall a man prevail.” Psalm 31:23. Adds, “Love the Lord, all you his saints! The Lord preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride.”

The psalmists understood their part. They knew the power of the enemy and that they needed God’s help, but they also knew their responsibility to be godly people, trusting Him. (See Psalm 25:19–21)

Psalm 91:9–11. Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place — the Most High, who is my refuge — no evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.

Sometimes we who follow Him need protection from ourselves. The psalmist said, “Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!” (Psalm 141:3) Another verse tells me to love the Lord and be faithful, because He “abundantly repays the one who acts in pride.”

Jesus guarded his apostles while he is on earth with them. In John 17:12, He prayed: “While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.”

I am to pray and, “not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6–7) “He is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one.” (2 Thessalonians 3:3)

I don’t have an army of guards like the OT believers did, nor do I fight physical battles, but life does have struggles and trials. In 2 Timothy 1:12–14, Paul said of his struggles: “I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me. Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.” God guards His people; our part is to remain faithful.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. Like the palace guards, my Guard does not smile for selfies, but He is able to keep me from stumbling and to present me blameless before the presence of His glory with great joy (Jude 24) and for that, I will stand guard with Him until that day when His keeping power brings me into that place He is also guarding for me — my eternal dwelling with Him.

 

No comments: