April 26, 2021

The King who cares . . .

 

One OT word refers to a large assortment of leader-types, from an emperor to the kings of Israel and Judah down to tribal and city leaders. It is one of many terms in the OT for leaders yet is best translated “king” with a key use of calling God as KING.

The Lord Almighty is “the King of glory” who sits enthroned on high. He is “the King over all the earth” and “the King above all gods” also called “the LORD Almighty” and “Israel’s King and Redeemer” and “Israel’s Creator, your King” who rules.

At least one other Hebrew word is used as a royal title and Ezekiel uses one of them to describe the coming descendent of David who will shepherd Israel:

Ezekiel 34:24. And I, the Lord, will be their God, and my servant David shall be prince among them. I am the Lord; I have spoken.

When Jesus came, He proclaimed the kingdom of God and implied He is the King of that kingdom. The Jews hoped for a political king who would deliver them from Roman rule. Jesus refused that role and this was one of the reasons they crucified Him.

The NT word for king is used both for Jesus but also other kings who had set themselves against God’s kingdom. Jesus actions and teachings show Him to be the true King. In Luke 19:38 His disciples loudly praised Him for all the mighty things He was doing: “Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”

For a short time even the crowds acknowledged Jesus as King as He rode a young donkey into Jerusalem. John 12:13 records it: “So they took branches of palm trees and went out to meet him, crying out, ‘Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord, even the King of Israel!’” Later, the crowds shouted out that He be crucified. When the sign on His cross read that He was King of the Jews, they angrily protested.

Later, the Apostle Paul honored Him in 1 Timothy 1:15–17 by saying . . .

“Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life. To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.”

Later John saw visions of the Christ when exiled on the island of Patmos. In one of them, an angel said:

“They will make war on the Lamb, and the Lamb will conquer them, for he is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those with him are called and chosen and faithful.” (Revelation 17:14)

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. In Canada, our queen and the kings before her are considered by most as mere figureheads rather than rulers who govern anything we do or decide. This is not the way Jesus should be considered yet I realize many honor Him only in that way. He is Lord, but not their ruler; they do whatever seems right for them rather than seek His will for each decision and each day. Since He made me His child and a citizen of His kingdom, He put in my heart the desire to yield to Him as the leader and ruler of my life. This is never easy. The flesh fights the Holy Spirit. The world pressures such allegiance calling it foolishness. The devil whispers contrary lies and ideas to pull me away from my King and from worshiping Him alone. Reading His Word is helpful to remind me just who He is and what He does. Talking to Him means taking my cares to Him as any citizen should be able to do with their leader. Bowing before Him in worship that includes songs of praise also acknowledges Jesus as my King, my God who is no idol but a real person who cares for me and invites me to bring all my cares to Him. Because of verses like Hebrews 4:16, I can, with confidence, draw near to the throne of grace where I will receive mercy and find grace to help in all times of need. He is my King and so much more . . . !

 

No comments: