April 2, 2021

This sheep needs a Shepherd

 

Strange stories come out beginning with “God told me . . . .” and continuing with something at least doubtful and often bizarre that the story-teller claims came from God. Yet God promises to GUIDE His people. Familiar verses like “The Lord is my Shepherd . . . He leads me beside still waters . . . .” and Isaiah 40:11, “He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young” verify the reality.

Most of God’s guidance is found in His Word, yet His people did not have the Scriptures for decades at a time. It was not compiled into a book like it is now yet those saints of old heard from Him and knew what He said. The NT is the same. The early church did not have the New Testament, only scattered letters and copies, even many not written by the Apostles or church leaders. How did they know the guidance of God?

Part of it was Jesus’ promise. He said in John 10:27, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me” long before John’s gospel was written. It is still true. He speaks to our hearts through ideas, others, and sometimes circumstances. Even though the Bible is the final test, He makes His will available to His people.

For example, our oldest son went to a local dealer to buy a new truck. With hand on pen to sign the deal, a thought stopped him. He dropped the pen, went to another dealer and saved $10,000 on the same model. He knew it was the Lord that put that thought in his head. Scripture promises God will give us wisdom for every part of life.

Many psalms say, “This is our God . . . He will guide us forever” and we are like sheep that He guides through the wilderness. A shepherd uses a staff to steer sheep in a better direction and to yank them out of trouble. I know that kind of leading. He also whispers assurances. All this seems too subjective, but if it is God, He persists so I realize His thoughts are not something I dreamed up. His guidance always leads me away from my own fantasies.

On that vein, Proverbs links guidance with integrity. Proverbs 11:3 say, “The integrity of the upright guides them, but the crookedness of the treacherous destroys them.” God wants transparency — what is seen on the outside is true to what is inside. My thoughts and actions must match; otherwise I cannot expect to have clear guidance. The NT puts it this way:

James 1:5–8. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

Being guided by God is an incredible privilege and a boon for those many times when life is confusing.

Isaiah 42:16. And I will lead the blind in a way that they do not know, in paths that they have not known I will guide them. I will turn the darkness before them into light, the rough places into level ground. These are the things I do, and I do not forsake them.

When I am confused, He clarifies, even showing me new things I’d never heard or thought of before. Last night I went to bed puzzled concerning a project I’m working on. I’d hit a brick wall with no solution. I woke up at 4:00 a.m. with the answer. I was so excited that sleep never returned for a couple hours.

He also guides me through tough situations. We are experiencing one with our living situation and He keeps saying, “Be still and know that I am God” into both our minds. The rough is not yet smooth but God’s assurance is like a warm hug to a troubled heart.

Isaiah 49:10. they shall not hunger or thirst, neither scorching wind nor sun shall strike them, for he who has pity on them will lead them, and by springs of water will guide them.

God also guides us into prosperity and takes care of our physical needs. I often call myself His spoiled brat. I’ve experienced poverty without knowing if I could eat or pay power bills, but God guided choices and has blessed us abundantly. He wants us to “be like a watered garden” so we can share what we have with others.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. Writing down His thoughts to me keeps my mind on Him, listening for His guidance in most of what I do. The day will come when “the Lamb in the midst of the throne . . . will guide me to springs of living water” and all trials and struggles will be over. In the meantime, the Lord is my Shepherd — I shall not want . . .

 

3 comments:

Aritha V. said...

Thank you so much. I am glad you are now in my side bar.

God is our great shepherd. He also knew the good places to make his sheep rest. He faithfully guides us to green pastures.

Sharing this (source: enduring word)

Philip Keller (in A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23) writes that sheep do not lie down easily and will not unless four conditions are met. Because they are timid, they will not lie down if they are afraid. Because they are social animals, they will not lie down if there is friction among the sheep. If flies or parasites trouble them, they will not lie down. Finally, if sheep are anxious about food or hungry, they will not lie down. Rest comes because the shepherd has dealt with fear, friction, flies, and famine.

He leads me beside the still waters: The shepherd knows when the sheep needs green pastures, and knows when the sheep needs the still waters. The images are rich with the sense of comfort, care, and rest.

Have a blessed Saterday and Sunday, dear sister.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Thank you, Aritha. I love Phillip Keller's book. We never had sheep on the farm when I grew up, but tried a few when I was married. My how true Keller was about the nature of sheep! And we are so like them. His sheep stories are humbling but so good to read realizing Jesus is our Shepherd. Thanks for your encouragement.
May your Easter be fill with joy, and all your days!

Aritha V. said...

Thanks Elsie!