April 20, 2021

Never-ending Joy!


Christians learn by experience that JOY is better than ‘happy’ because joy does not depend on circumstances. It comes from knowing that God is God and He is in control, with us, working out answers to our problems and preparing for us an eternal home.

As I read dozens of verses about JOY, it became obvious that the source is God Himself. He is a joyful God. Why is that? For the same reason that we experience joy; He knows evil will not win and sin will not defeat His children. He is in a perfect place, but that place is not the source; He is joyful as a perfect Person, without anything that can change or harm Him. He experiences what 1 Chronicles 16:26–27 says, “For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols, but the Lord made the heavens. Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and joy are in his place.”

God is unlimited in strength and joy. He can give both away and never run out. I can rely on Him in my weaknesses and in trials and in sorrows. Not only that, His strength and joy are tied together . . .

Nehemiah 8:10. Then he said to them, “Go your way. Eat the fat and drink sweet wine and send portions to anyone who has nothing ready, for this day is holy to our Lord. And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”

Our joy is put into us by God. Just being in His presence is joyful, in a small way illustrated by watching a happy child dance and feeling their delight. Psalm 16:11 says that being with Him and learning from Him is joyful because God is joyful. “You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”

This joy that is from God is powerful. Ecclesiastes verifies that it makes life meaningful. Isaiah says we can sing because God puts “everlasting joy” upon our heads. Joy is a gift from God.

The NT relates that joyful feelings can come from circumstances but for those who follow Christ, it is because of our relationship with Him. 1 Peter 1:8 expresses it this way:

“Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory.”

The most significant thing about God’s joy is that it is rooted in who He is, not what is going on. When I experience trials and hardship, I can “joyfully accept the plundering of my property, since I know that I have a better possession and an abiding one.” (Hebrews 10:34) Joy in trials deepens faith and my walk with God as James 1:2 says, I can “count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds,” not because things look good but because God is not the slightest bit anxious. He knows the result and He is joyful.

Other verses in the NT show that joy is a God-thing. It is in Him and given to us from Him. For instance, Jesus says in John 15:11, “These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.” He repeats it in John 17:13. “But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves.”

Of course it happens. Acts 13:52 tells how “the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.” Galatians 5:22–23 also points to the source of that joy, “The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” He is joy and the source of my joy!

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. Looking at how God loves me changes my life. Looking at how God is joyful also affects me, deeply. How can I be angry, upset, worried, or let any other negative emotion rule my life when none of the things that affect me are robbing God of His joy! The message for me today is to keep gazing at Him!

No comments: