April 27, 2021

“Only God knows” . . . don’t say it lightly!

 

Lately God repeats a verse in my mind to help me with an ongoing situation that needs resolution. He clearly tells me, “Be still and know that I am God” from Psalm 46:10. What an amazing truth that I can KNOW Him.

The OT words for ‘know’ are holistic in that both sensory experience and intellectual perception are viewed as vital to obtaining knowledge. That is, faith is not based on sight nor is it a ‘leap in the dark’ — it is both.

In Deuteronomy 4:34–36 and Isaiah 41:20 after a long list of visible things the Lord has done, He says He did them “that they may see and know, may consider and understand together, that the hand of the Lord has done this, the Holy One of Israel has created it.”

However, knowing is more astounding when applied to God. In Exodus 3:7 He says, “I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters. I know their sufferings.”

David’s words reveal that nothing is hidden from God.

Psalm 139:1–6. “O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it.”

These words about knowing indicate a relationship. Those who know the Lord are people that belong to Him in a covenant of faith and He knows His people. This goes beyond cognitive knowing; it is about mutual faithfulness and a relationship where God reveals to us what we need to know in order to do His will.

Deuteronomy 29:29. “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.”

The Bible is clear that God withholds knowledge from those who refuse to listen and trust Him or who worship idols. Some were “destroyed for lack of knowledge” yet all are told to listen, indicating that our knowledge of God is a gift from Him.

The NT uses several words that mean ‘to know’ either by observation or learning. It says we can know God exists but not have that relationship with Him that comes by faith. Romans 1 explains how unrighteous  people suppress revealed truth and become “futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts grow dark” illustrating OT verses about God knowing the heart. Faith can be faked, but nothing is hidden from God.

1 Corinthians 8:2–3 says if I love God, I am “known by God” because He knows my heart, my thoughts and all about me. This means great intimacy with the Lord . . .

John 10:14–15. “I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.”

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. When I focus on Jesus, I’m aware that He knows me. I cannot hide from Him any thoughts, intentions or what makes me happy or sad. He knows all and this makes Him closer than any other person, able to know what others might misunderstand or find confusing. His spiritual perception about everything means I have a solid rock, a Lord and Savior I can trust in every possible way. Spending time with Him and knowing that He knows deepens the intimacy and heightens my security — making it easier to “be still and know He is God.”

 

No comments: