March 27, 2021

The I AM who simply is . . .

Hebrews 11:6 says whoever wants to draw near to God must believe that He exists. Some Bible verses simply say we “must believe that He is.” That phrase suggests doing a word search for “GOD IS” and see what pops up. The ESV gave me 182 results, not all finishing the thought of who God is, but there are too many to include all the verses here. Instead, I’ll put a few and a summary that makes it personal.

God is with me in all that I do. God is witness to whatever happens in my life. God is not like people; He does not lie, change His mind, or fail to keep His promises. God is giving me good things, an abundant life. God is near to me, available when I call out to Him.

God is a consuming fire, a jealous God yet merciful and will not leave me or forsake His promises to me. God is a great and awesome God who loves me. He is mighty, is not partial and will take no bribes. God is giving me an inheritance (secured by the death of His Son).

God is testing my love for Him in the circumstances of life, but also giving me the faith needed to pass those tests. He is dealing with all spiritual enemies and evil forces that come against me. He is also my eternal dwelling place even as He is with me now and wherever I go.

God is providing me a place of rest. He is my strong refuge and has made my way blameless. God is greater than all gods, guiding me as my Leader, gracious and merciful. He is good to me as I seek Him. His Spirit is in the very air that I breathe and is greater than anything or anyone. He is mighty in strength and understanding, exalted in power. There is no teacher like Him. The number of His years is unsearchable. He is clothed with awesome majesty. God is a righteous judge, constantly indignant against sin but stands by those who are righteous.

Psalm 46:1. God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Psalm 73:26. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

God is my helper, my upholder. He is for me and my hiding place, my salvation. He is great. He is good. God is known; His name is great. God is holy. He is a sun and shield my God who is in the heavens. He is gracious and righteous and merciful. He is the Lord of lords. He is to be feared yet is my salvation and my strength. He is an everlasting rock! God is in me and His Spirit is upon me. He is righteous in all that He does.

Zephaniah 3:17. The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.

God is able; He can do whatever He pleases. His kingdom is in our midst, as near as He is near. God is true. He is Spirit; glorified in His Son. What can be known about God is plainly seen in creation. His wrath is revealed against ungodliness. God is for me; who can be against me! God is faithful.

1 Corinthians 1:25. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

1 Corinthians 14:33. God is not a God of confusion but of peace.

God is able to make all grace abound to me so I have all I need to do what He wants me to do. God is not mocked. His wrath is coming. The Word of God is not bound but living and active, discerning my thoughts and motivations.

God is not ashamed to be called my God. He is treating me as His child with love and discipline. He is light, without any darkness. He is greater than my heart and He knows everything. God is love. His testimony is greater than that of people. In the end, when His wrath is finished and His dwelling place is with His people, God is with me and I will be with Him forever.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY and realize His love and His power. God is all that I need, now and forever.