March 9, 2021

Hand in hand with God

 

Those who follow Christ know that FELLOWSHIP is more than tea and cookies in the church basement. 1 Corinthians 1:9 says, “God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.” This elevates fellowship into something far more than eating together, though fellowship does happen at the dinner table.

Fellowship with God says something about the nature of God. Looking at the Bible’s descriptions of human fellowship sheds light on what God is like regarding this quality.

First, this is a New Testament noun usually related to a group action. The Greek word is defined as  participation or the act of sharing in the activities or privileges of an intimate association or group. While it can apply to human interaction apart from God, it is usually associated with Him. One definition says it is the mutual sharing of His attributes with one another, attributes like love, encouragement, compassion, deep interest and anything else that is from Christ through the Holy Spirit.

This points to how fellowship with God works. I share my attributes such how I feel, what is bothering me, and as I talk to Him about my sin and He bestows on me forgiveness and grace so that I think and act like Him rather than my old self.

Some say fellowship is ‘fellows in the same ship’ which could be sharing mutual experiences of Christ with one another. When God does it, He is revealing to me truths about Jesus as I spend time talking with Him and listening to Him, also important in fellowship.

The Bible is clear that fellowship cannot happen if one or more of the ‘participants’ are walking in darkness. God is light so He does not spoil it but I can block fellowship if I refuse to confess and repent of any sin. 2 Corinthians 6:14 says, “Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?”

Fellowship involves sharing truth. God does this, and as already said, I must also be open and truthful with Him and with others about what I have seen and heard. 1 John 1:3 verifies this: “That which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ.” This is vital because that is what God does. He never lies, deceives, pretends, or says anything but the truth. For this 1 John 1:6–7 says:

If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.

The same word is translated in other ways showing the nature of fellowship. It is “contribution” or participation, sharing in/with, taking part in helping others. It is a partnership in the Gospel and in the Holy Spirit. It is also sharing in Christ’s sufferings and sharing my goods and particularly my faith with others. Even more important, fellowship in all its forms cannot occur if I am walking in disobedience.

What does all this say about God? I certainly makes clear that my relationship with Him is more than a casual acquaintance. We are partners in His kingdom-building ministry. He supplies the ideas and motivation, the energy and all the underlying preparation — and my hands, feet, mouth and entire being carry out the tasks.

It also says that He is open and honest with me, telling me what I need to know when I need to know it. He shares His suffering with me too — when God is upset, I feel it. At times, I’ve felt His anger too, but most of the time, our fellowship is about sharing joy. I know that this is from Him because it comes at times when it makes no sense during suffering and trials.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. Fellowship with the Lord is a precious part of being His child and trusting Him with my life. He speaks to my heart and conscience. He guides, laughs with me, even cheers me on. He also comforts me when I’m sad and says “well done” when I obey. Could anything be more precious than being in a fellowship relationship with the Creator of all and the Lord of lords? I don’t think so!

 

No comments: