March 25, 2021

The Gift is also the Giver . . .

In salvation, God is the Gift. He presents Himself to me as my Lord and Savior, granting all I need to live for Him. In this abundant life He promises to those who put their faith in His Son, His gifts cover every possible need; physical, mental, psychological, emotional, relational and spiritual and often a few “I wants” too.

When I typed give* into my search box, up came 1581 results. Some of them relate to my opportunities to be generous, or to prayer requests concerning needs, or the blessings of giving. Many point to the gifts that God GIVES and reveal His generous heart, never mind His unlimited resources.

He began this abundant life by giving me Himself. Could I be wealthier? About that gift He says in Romans 8:32, “He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?”

He also gave me the Holy Spirit as Jesus promised in John 14:16-17. “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth whom the world cannot receive because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him for he dwells with you and will be in you.”

 He gave me life yet when God gave Himself to me, He gave me eternal life also. 1 John 5:11–12. “And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.”

With these incredible gifts, I can live with a glimpse of eternity. In Christ and in the enlightenment of His Spirit comes a divine perspective, an ability to see what the world cannot see. My vision is not complete but it is enough to give me an eternal perspective and to remove all fear of death. It also makes vivid my former thinking, so selfish and focused on what’s in it for me. Instead, He gave me new attitude and a new focus — to share my gifts with others, no matter what they are, from Jesus Himself including His love, goodness, generosity, and joy. I can do that without fear or stinginess because God’s gifts never run dry. If I give away something I need, He refills with more of the same.

What does God give besides Himself and all that He is? Here are some samples: a new heart and life, grace for every situation, the righteousness of Jesus Christ, peace that is beyond comprehension, joy that cannot be quelled, rest from self-effort, new commandments to guide me in this new life, love of truth and awareness of lies, a deep desire for fellowship with Him, the supply of all physical needs such as food, clothing and shelter, power for the hard stuff, comfort for the sad stuff, possessions suited to my needs and His desire for my life, guidance through the puzzles of life, companionship, a hearing ear, His encouragement, a place in His forever family, fellowship with other Christians, laughter, family, spiritual gifts and abilities with which to serve Him and others, sight, speech, ears to hear, my very breath, the ability to praise Him and to see Him in the world that He created, a thankful heart, a love for color, art, music, nature and all beauty, good sleep at night and good activities to do during the day, the ability to laugh and cry with others, to help them and be helped.

Need I go on? All this life is blessed by the hand of God, the generosity of His giving heart. He hears and answers prayers, makes Himself real to me, and restores me when I wander off or stumble and fall. He is the greatest Gift and the greatest GIVER!

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY . . . with gratitude and a heartfelt response of both adoring praise and total obedience.

 

No comments: