March 17, 2021

Hundreds of Assurances . . .

 

When it comes to God, the word FOREVER easily applies to His existence. I can also easily apply it to myself for I know without any doubt that I will spend eternity with Him. However, in the present trials of life, I’m struggling with believing in lasting goodness in my life. His loving care and abundant life are real, yet these past few weeks some harsh circumstances threaten to rob my sense of both. I know He is in control yet realize how easily I’ve neglected the truths in those verses about trials and persecutions. Life has been so good that they didn’t seem to apply to me — but they do now and without warning.

As I read partials of a handful of verses in the back of my Bible containing FOREVER, the Lord seemed to buoy up my sense of His presence and His unending love. Eager to read more, here is what He gives me. Nearly 400 verses contain forever, but not all of them are talking about God. This one does, and it helps me with His NT command to leave my desire for retaliation with Him:

Deuteronomy 32:39–41. “See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand. For I lift up my hand to heaven and swear, As I live forever, if I sharpen my flashing sword and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance on my adversaries and will repay those who hate me.”

Many passages speak of God’s enduring love, firmly in place even when He judges sin. 1 Chronicles 16:33–34 follows verses of praise then says: “Then shall the trees of the forest sing for joy before the Lord, for he comes to judge the earth. Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!” This tells me that no matter what is happening, God loves His people. He loves me.

Even though God tells me to “Be still” and “Do not seek revenge” He also deals with those who are afflicted and mistreated. I feel abandoned yet the psalmist says this is not so and these words are a comfort:

Psalm 9:3–10. “When my enemies turn back, they stumble and perish before your presence. For you have maintained my just cause; you have sat on the throne, giving righteous judgment. You have rebuked the nations; you have made the wicked perish; you have blotted out their name forever and ever. The enemy came to an end in everlasting ruins; their cities you rooted out; the very memory of them has perished. But the Lord sits enthroned forever; he has established his throne for justice, and he judges the world with righteousness; he judges the peoples with uprightness. The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.”

The OT is filled with reminders of God’s love and protection for His forever family. It also has many passages that tell me how I should be responding to current adversities. Here is one of them:

Psalm 112:5–9. “It is well with the man who deals generously and lends; who conducts his affairs with justice. For the righteous will never be moved; he will be remembered forever. He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the Lord. His heart is steady; he will not be afraid, until he looks in triumph on his adversaries. He has distributed freely; he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever; his horn is exalted in honor.”

The NT speaks of FOREVER terms of God’s glory. These and other verses remind me that my role is not about me but about giving Him the glory that He so richly deserves:

1 Timothy 1:17. “To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.”

2 Timothy 4:18. “The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.”

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. Our situation has involved severe and untrue accusations. God tells me to let Him deal with it and in the meantime, trust Him completely. This morning He adds this:

Proverbs 12:18–22. “There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment. Deceit is in the heart of those who devise evil, but those who plan peace have joy. No ill befalls the righteous, but the wicked are filled with trouble. Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are his delight.”

Psalm 29:10–11. “The Lord sits enthroned over the flood; the Lord sits enthroned as king forever. May the Lord give strength to his people! May the Lord bless his people with peace!” Amen.

 

No comments: