March 15, 2021

Be still and know that He is God . . .

 

One Hebrew word could be translated “long of nose” — showing the colorful nature of this OT language with many idioms and figures of speech. It is translated FORBEARANCE in English and means “being patient or slow to anger.” I don’t know how that relates to having a long nose, but I do know that I need to look at this quality.

I’m struggling with the choice of waiting on the Lord or fighting back against an injustice. Anger tells me to put a stop to it and even retaliate but God has already told me to “Be still.” This is not easy. These verses that use that Hebrew word are helpful:

Nehemiah 9:17. They refused to obey and were not mindful of the wonders that you performed among them, but they stiffened their neck and appointed a leader to return to their slavery in Egypt. But you are a God ready to forgive, gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and did not forsake them.

Psalm 86:15. But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.

Jeremiah 15:15. O Lord, you know; remember me and visit me, and take vengeance for me on my persecutors. In your forbearance take me not away; know that for your sake I bear reproach.

Nahum 1:3. The Lord is slow to anger and great in power, and the Lord will by no means clear the guilty. His way is in whirlwind and storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.

From these, I get the strong image of God’s patience with His erring children. I also know that He showed little patience with those who had rejected or ignored Him, generally meaning the pagans outside of His people. The injustice that bothers me is being done by people who show no regard for God or His patience.

The NT is more helpful because it gives a reason why God puts up with sin. The word translated FORBEARANCE comes from a Greek word meaning “a good-natured tolerance that delays enforcing rights or claims or privileges.” In other words, God has the right to punish sin to the point of instant death for even one infraction, but He is kind and has a reason for being tolerant. That reason is in this verse:

Romans 2:4. Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance?

He is giving people an opportunity to turn from sin and give their lives to Christ. In my impatience, I’d like to see this happen right NOW! Why do people seem so ignorant of God’s intention to be kind? Many of them even despise it. The context of this verse answers that question. It is because of their stubbornness which comes from the Greek word that we get our English word “sclerosis” or hardness. They have unrepentant hearts and because of this, God is not so much patient for a change but is storing up His wrath against sin until the day when it will be poured out His righteous judgment.

Even so, this desire for repentance revealed by God’s past forbearance was also an anticipation. He would send Jesus Christ to die for all sin. His forbearance shows evidence of His great mercy and grace. 

Romans 3:25. whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY: As I read, it is easy to see that those who refuse that grace, even as it is displayed in patient forbearance, will not escape God’s wrath forever. Also, He may lead these people to repentance and I don’t know if/when that will happen. That is why He tells me to be still. He may change their hearts. He may not, but it is up to Him to deal with their rejection of righteousness, not me. I need to keep my eyes on Him and on this instruction . . .

Romans 12:17–21. Repay no one evil for evil but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil but overcome evil with good.

 

No comments: