March 11, 2021

Lord, I need to be filled to the brim!


This morning started well but quickly became frustrating when my computer would not go beyond the lock screen. Rebooting revealed the cause: keyboard failure. Good thing I kept the old wired one, but then discovered my wireless mouse would not work either. Bluetooth problems? Everything else on Bluetooth worked. The mystery remains unsolved but hubby had a spare wired mouse. I felt a need for patience, the kind that God gives.

With that, I picked FILL as a word that describes what God does. After several searches and a bit of time, it became clear that I am dabbling with languages that I know very little about and need to be careful that my assumptions have real value.

For instance, Hebrew seems to have one word for FILL defined as “to make full (with a sufficient quantity); whether literally or figuratively.” Greek has two (that I could find), both with the same definition as the Hebrew word. While one of them is always used when referring to being filled with God’s Spirit, it is used for other things too, often the same things as the other word.

So I’m confused, not that the findings have no implications but that I’ve little clue what they are. Instead, the verses, in English, tell me about  the power of God to fill His people with what we need. And I feel needy today . . .

Fills with skill to do the work He asks us to do: Exodus 35:35 describes the people who “He filled with skill to do every sort of work done by an engraver or by a designer or by an embroiderer in blue and purple and scarlet yarns and fine twined linen, or by a weaver—by any sort of workman or skilled designer.”

Fills His place of worship with His glory: 2 Chronicles 7:1–2: “As soon as Solomon finished his prayer, fire came down from heaven and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices, and the glory of the Lord filled the temple. And the priests could not enter the house of the Lord, because the glory of the Lord filled the Lord’s house.”

Fills the whole earth with His glory: Numbers 14:20–21: Then the Lord said, “I have pardoned, according to your word. But truly, as I live, and as all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the Lord” and Habakkuk 2:14: “For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.”

Fills us with whatever we need: Psalm 81:10: “I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.”

Fills all places; no one can hide from Him: Jeremiah 23:24: “Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the Lord. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord.”

Fills His people with His power to do right and declare truth: Micah 3:8: “But as for me, I am filled with power, with the Spirit of the Lord, and with justice and might, to declare to Jacob his transgression and to Israel his sin.”

Fills His people with His Spirit: (a generous supply!) Acts 2:4: “And (the disciples) were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.”

Fills His people with joy, peace and hope because of the  power of the Holy Spirit: Romans 15:13: “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.”

Fills Jesus who then fills all things: Ephesians 1:22–23: “And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.”

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. Fill me Lord with all that is needed to do Your will this day.

 

 

No comments: