July 16, 2020

Is my ‘good life’ the will of God?


Joshua 23; Jeremiah 12; Matthew 26; Acts 3

Not sure where it came from but this quote keeps gnawing at me: “Beware that you don’t make an idol of the good life.”

This week my hubby was talking to another Christian who was bemoaning the prophetic ideas of end times. He was deeply upset over thoughts of tribulation and betrayals, persecution and the end of the world as we know it. My hubby kept reminding him that God also predicts victory — and in the end, Jesus wins. However, this good news was not received as a comfort. The man kept saying, “Yes . . .  but . . . .” Had he made an idol of the good life?

I know the danger. We are comfortable, healthy even though we have health issues, financially stable, and at peace. Thoughts of discomfort, sickness, poverty and stress hardly enter our heads. Yet I realize the danger of being so reliant on the gifts that I neglect the Giver.

I was tested yesterday. One thing that really gets me riled is computer problems. I use technology for many things and when it acts up without any explanation, tension builds . . . usually. Yesterday my email program would not open. This happened after an ‘update’ so I assumed something was changed by that update and spent several hours trying to figure out what it was. I’d opened it several times in ‘safe’ mode, but that didn’t work. Finally I did that again, rebooted the PC and the offending program started as normal with no loss of anything but time. Not my temper.

For once, I was calm during all of this. I credit the Holy Spirit and learned some lessons. One, He is adequate to give what is needed even for stuff that is normally frustrating. Two, I can survive without everything working perfectly — my peace does not depend on technology nor anything else but Jesus. Three, He can take over and show me His ability even when I don’t ask for it. Four, I did ask that the problem would be solved, but the real problem was my attitude. Sometimes spiritual lessons are learned in the classroom of life rather than from a sermon or Bible study.

Peter struggled with the same thing as the man my hubby talked to. He didn’t want to accept anything from Jesus that was going to be upsetting. In Matthew 16, Jesus told His disciples He would be killed and then rise again. Peter said, “Far be it from you, Lord! This shall never happen to you.” This got him a severe rebuke from Jesus: “Get the behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. for you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.” (Matthew 16:21-23)

The next time was closer to that fateful day. Jesus just had instituted the Lord’s Supper . . .

And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. Then Jesus said to them, “You will all fall away because of me this night. For it is written, ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’ But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee.” Peter answered him, “Though they all fall away because of you, I will never fall away.” Jesus said to him, “Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.” Peter said to him, “Even if I must die with you, I will not deny you!” And all the disciples said the same. (Matthew 26:30–35)

This time Peter and the others were ignoring or forgetting their tendency to fail. As I read both incidents in terms of idolizing the good life, I’m aware of how the desire for comfort can block my understanding of how God uses calamity for His purposes. Peter did not want Jesus to die — how horrible. He did not understand the purpose of God, at least not then.

Peter also did not want to betray Him, a lesson perhaps learned from the first rebuke, but this time it was because his trust in himself had a big flaw. To remain true to Jesus requires the power of the Holy Spirit and Peter had not yet learned that this also requires a revelation from God. Otherwise, he didn’t get it even though Jesus plainly said it.

APPLY: The human heart is fickle. My heart is too. Jesus lives there yet how many times have I relied on me instead of Him! The good life is good, but the will of God rises above my ideas of good. Jesus had to die. On this side of the Cross I can see the incredible goodness of that but in Peter’s place, he was not able to — yet. Also, on this side of the end of things and the prophecies of horrors that will happen, I must always take to heart that even though it will not be good, Jesus will indeed win!

No comments: