July 13, 2020

Learning from the boring passages . . .

Joshua 18–19; Psalms 149–150; Jeremiah 9; Matthew 23

Reading the allotment of land in Canaan to the twelve tribes of Israel seems boring at first, but God uses it to show me a few things. One is the humility of Joshua who left his choice to last, selecting an insignificant city that was not in the most fertile and desirable land. He was their leader. He didn’t realize it, but he was also a type of Christ, yet he did not use his position of authority for selfish gain.

This is unlike most of the political leaders today. Our news this week is filled with stories of at least one leader who not only took money he should not have taken but lied about it. Oh for men like Joshua to run for office in our country — and as the next reading says, God wants us to be careful about who we put in places of authority:

For the Lord takes pleasure in his people; he adorns the humble with salvation. Let the godly exult in glory; let them sing for joy on their beds. Let the high praises of God be in their throats and two-edged swords in their hands, to execute vengeance on the nations and punishments on the peoples, to bind their kings with chains and their nobles with fetters of iron, to execute on them the judgment written! This is honor for all his godly ones. Praise the Lord! (Psalm 149:4–9, italics mine)

The two-edged sword in psalms may be literal yet in the NT it is used to describe the Word of God. While I am to obey those in authority (see Romans 13), this passage tells me to biblically deal with ungodly rulers. In our country we can write letters expressing judgment on ungodly actions and exercise our right to vote.

Also, one of those ancient tribes didn’t conquer the enemies in their territory and history shows their error when those enemies later defeated that tribe. My commentary says this: deal with sin quickly or it will come back later and bite you. This theme is described in Jeremiah 9 as well! The prophet speaks of the entire nation who abandoned the Lord and were experiencing the consequences:

Who is the man so wise that he can understand this? To whom has the mouth of the Lord spoken, that he may declare it? Why is the land ruined and laid waste like a wilderness, so that no one passes through? And the Lord says: “Because they have forsaken my law that I set before them, and have not obeyed my voice or walked in accord with it, but have stubbornly followed their own hearts and have gone after the Baals, as their fathers taught them. Therefore thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: Behold, I will feed this people with bitter food, and give them poisonous water to drink. I will scatter them among the nations whom neither they nor their fathers have known, and I will send the sword after them, until I have consumed them.” (Jeremiah 9:12–16)

My life is not like theirs yet I can so easily ‘follow my own heart’ and find life going upside-down. The NT says God chastens those He loves. I do not resent that because anyone who really cares would not allow those they love to sin and ruin their lives, especially when they have the wisdom and ability to put a stop to it. God is wise. He know me and knows exactly what I need. When I think I am right, He gives me verses like this to guide me:

Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” (Jeremiah 9:23–24)

Of course Jesus says more. In Matthew 23, He tells me to practice what I preach, don’t do things merely to impress others, keep my word, do justice, be merciful and faithful keeping my heart right and pure before Him.

APPLY: Stay close to Jesus. Keep short accounts. Forget about trying to impress others and instead do good to them. Don’t boast about anything except that Jesus has saved me to live for Him and not for myself.

 


No comments: