July 9, 2020

Peace in this pandemic and in other perils . . .

Joshua 11; Psalm 144; Jeremiah 5; Matthew 19

During the social isolation of this pandemic, God has blessed me with His great peace. My hubby has a compromised immune system yet is amazingly healthy. I am also enjoying good days with energy and no fear. In months prior, attacks from the devil seemed non-stop, but now he is not pestering me continually. I’m thankful for a respite and for the grace of God who gives it.

Today’s reading in Joshua encourages me. The battles this man fought and won were physical and won by the promise and power of God. My battles are not like his; my enemy is a liar who tries to confuse and destroy my faith and testimony. He attempts to lure me into sin and uselessness. Sometimes he wins — if I don’t pray like Joshua failed to do with the Gibeonites or if I have a sin hidden in my life like Achan did after their loss at Ai.

However, one loss is not the war. Satan was defeated for eternity at Calvary. My battle against him is already a victory — won by the promise and power of Jesus Christ. Just like Jesus does for me, “Joshua took the whole land, according to all that the Lord had spoken to Moses. And Joshua gave it for an inheritance to Israel according to their tribal allotments. And the land had rest from war.” (Joshua 11:23) God gives His people rest.

Today’s psalm picks up the same theme. David fought literal battles and his words describe how God sustains His people in spiritual warfare. Along with David, I’m able to say these things today:

Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; he is my steadfast love and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield and he in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me. (Psalm 144:1–2)

Stretch out your hand from on high; rescue me and deliver me from the many waters, from the hand of foreigners, whose mouths speak lies and whose right hand is a right hand of falsehood. (Psalm 144:7–8)

For David, winning his battles brought a request and anticipation of physical blessings. He describes them too:

May our sons in their youth be like plants full grown, our daughters like corner pillars cut for the structure of a palace; may our granaries be full, providing all kinds of produce; may our sheep bring forth thousands and ten thousands in our fields; may our cattle be heavy with young, suffering no mishap or failure in bearing; may there be no cry of distress in our streets! Blessed are the people to whom such blessings fall! Blessed are the people whose God is the Lord! (Psalm 144:12–15)

Whether God’s blessings are tangible like David’s or spiritual like His amazing peace, He truly does bless those who belong to Him through faith in Christ.

APPLY: I deserve none of it, not the least of His blessings, yet I am so grateful and thankful. I know Christians in this troubled world suffer in many ways yet I can pray the promises of God for each one — that He will be their love, their fortress and stronghold. He shields and delivers us; we can take refuge in Him. Amen.

 

No comments: