July 3, 2020

Having a problem with miracles?

Joshua 5; Psalms 132–134; Isaiah 65; Matthew 13

A friend has a serious medical problem. She knew I would pray for her and I am praying. Her spouse would not use the word ‘prayer’ but asked that I’d ‘keep my fingers crossed’ until she is well again. In the past, my friend has expressed value in trusting God. Her spouse expresses distain of anything spiritual because he trusts human reason and science. As I pray, I desire that both will see the glory of God in this situation.

This morning I’m reading this passage and thinking again of these two people:

And when Jesus had finished these parables, he went away from there, and coming to his hometown he taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, “Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works? Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? And are not all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?” And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown and in his own household.” And he did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief. (Matthew 13:53–58)

I’m also thinking of the many times I’ve heard someone say that if God would only do such-and-such a miracle, then so-and-so would believe in Him. From what Jesus said, that is not the way it works. When He did miracles, those who called themselves the people of God scorned Him. They did not believe because of the miracles. Instead, they were offended by them.

I’m trying to understand that offense. Those whose friends were healed were upset? Those who heard Jesus teach about the kingdom of God didn’t like the idea of God blessing those who were poor in spirit? They were so proud of their version of law-keeping that grace and mercy were a put-down in their minds?

But the Holy Spirit asks me a few questions: “Is this response like yours when someone offers you help for something you think you can do yourself and your feel insulted and say, ‘No, thanks. I’m okay? Are you like those who scorned Jesus when you get uppity with someone who corrects you?”

Lately I’ve had a problem with those who seem unable to ‘connect the dots’ yet God points back at me with this. I’ve got my own blind spots and those areas of life where trusting God is blocked by an “I can do this myself” attitude. In His mind, is my ‘smaller problem’ with trust any different than the guy who thinks that crossing his fingers works better than prayer?

APPLY: Yikes. This conclusion is not what I expected. It’s easier to fault the other person who is blind to the power and wonder of Jesus Christ than it is to see that sometimes I am just as ornery. God, I need to confess my foolishness and ask You to forgive me.

 

No comments: