February 1, 2020

Caught by Surprise


Genesis 33; Esther 9–10; Mark 4; Romans 4

When my hubby was transferred to another part of the country for his work, we lived in a city about 15-20 miles from a well-known Bible college. I decided to go back to school and was the only grandmother in classes. One winter morning the drive to my classes was terrible. The temperature had gone up in the night and it rained, then got colder again. There was two inches of ice on the road. When I got to school, I realized I’d left an assignment at home that was due that day. I mentioned it to the women in the distance learning office where I hung my coat. The policy was 10% deductions for late papers and I dreaded taking a quick trip back home to get it.

After morning chapel, one of those ladies asked for my house key. “I have to go to the bank anyway, so I will pick up your assignment.” She did. I still remember looking at her as if I was seeing the face of God in this unexpected kindness.

In Genesis 33, Jacob is in a scary situation. His brother Esau had threatened to kill him. When they met on Jacob’s way home, Jacob prepared a large gift for his brother, arranged his family in groups, and hoped for the best.

He himself went on before them, bowing himself to the ground seven times, until he came near to his brother. But Esau ran to meet him and embraced him and fell on his neck and kissed him, and they wept . . . Esau said, “What do you mean by all this company that I met?” (the large gift) Jacob answered, “To find favor in the sight of my lord.” But Esau said, “I have enough, my brother; keep what you have for yourself.” Jacob said, “No, please, if I have found favor in your sight, then accept my present from my hand. For I have seen your face, which is like seeing the face of God, and you have accepted me. Please accept my blessing that is brought to you, because God has dealt graciously with me, and because I have enough.” Thus he urged him, and he took it. (Genesis 33:3-4; 8–11)

Unexpected kindness. I know how it feels when God orchestrates a blessing that goes outside the norm. He spared me a scary drive and the need to skip a class to make it. He spared Jacob a hostile encounter with a brother he’d not seen in years. God is like that. He also rescued the Jews in the time of Esther from the edict of a king, turning a huge threat into a blessing that the Jewish people celebrate with joy to this day. Unexpected power.

In Mark 4, this power comes up again — as a surprise. The story is told of Jesus falling asleep in the boat during a storm. His disciples thought they would perish and that He didn’t care. But He did . . .

And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. He said to them, “Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?” And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, “Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?” (Mark 4:39–41)

He saved their lives but that was not the only salvation they needed . . . Unexpected redemption.

“Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin.” (Romans 4:7–8)
For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:6–8)

God provided a Savior. I may have been able to drive from the college to my home on that icy highway, but I cannot save myself from the power and penalty of sin, not can a friend or even a brother come to my rescue. I need Jesus, not one who looks or acts like Jesus, but Jesus Himself. He alone is my Redeemer and realizing this amazing truth is both unexpected and increasingly delightful. Thank You Jesus for Your great unexpected kindness and saving power.


No comments: