February 10, 2020

Eyes of Faith see Differently . . .


Genesis 43; Job 9; Mark 13; Romans 13

The events of this weekend and the words of Scripture add to an increasing contrast between what mere mortal eyes can see and what is seen by the eyes of faith. I ponder the Memorial Service for my sister. Some would evaluate the music, the speaker, the quality of the slideshow, the words in the eulogy, or the ability of the preacher. Yet others would see, even feel, the power of God as He gave His people another glimpse of His glory and the power of His Spirit.

Many people talked to me about my sister and about their experience with the service. Some were like Job, focused on their issues and memories without seeing what God was doing. Others were like Job who was focused on his own life with its terrible events, but who also realized the futility of trying to understand what God was doing:

“Truly I know that it is so: But how can a man be in the right before God? If one wished to contend with him, one could not answer him once in a thousand times. He is wise in heart and mighty in strength —who has hardened himself against him, and succeeded?" (Job 9:2–4)

Job knew that the wicked perish, but that did not explain why he was suffering. If God in His anger conquers all the forces of evil, how could Job contend with Him? Job sensed his situation was helpless and hopeless. Some at the funeral sensed their situation was also useless, that they were guilty no matter what and there was no one to mediate their case. They missed it — missed the glorious message that Jesus loves them and offers them eternal life.

One person, at least one that I know of, got it. He said he had been close to making the decision the pastor spoke of, the decision to enter a deep relationship with Jesus Christ, to grab hold of Him and the promise of eternal life. Our conversation was brief, but in a few moments, he decided to do it. His last words to me were, “I will see you on the other side.”

I thought of him but mostly of my sister as I read these words in Mark:

“But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will be falling from heaven, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken. And then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. And then he will send out the angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven. (Mark 13:24–27)

We will be in that angel-gathered group that Jesus died for. Even now, I can sense the laughter of recognition and of remembering the day that we met Jesus and said yes to Him. My heart is so filled with the joy of being His child and knowing I will be in that number that I am having trouble thinking about my responsibilities for this day, the humdrum of life.

Again, my thoughts see the contrast. I must walk by sight for things like cleaning the bathrooms, doing laundry and making meals, but even in those, I can walk by faith knowing that my strength for even the humdrum comes from the Almighty Savior who gave Himself for me, for my sister, for her large family, for the folks who say YES to Jesus both in history past and this weekend and in the future.

My eyes might be impressed by human achievement, but by faith I see the glory of God and the impact of His grace on us ordinary people for whom He has given us a great gift — the gift of knowing Him and being able to relate to one another in grace, in His love, and with the assurance that one day we will be gathered into His presence forever.

This ‘loss’ for me has been an incredible gain. In a photo, I look into the eyes of my sister and she smiles back at me and says, “He did it!” and we both laugh with deep joy.


No comments: