April 21, 2019

We need each other . . .


From what I know about spiritual gifts, God motivates me with a teacher/prophet combination. One gift wants people to hear what God says, and the other is an information gatherer-dispenser. I like to read and study but also find myself easily discouraged by the high standards of God that show up my own failure to measure up. For this reason, I’m drawn to people with the gift of encouragement. I like exhorters who tell it like it is and who speak without filters, who point to the possibilities and refuse to dwell on the past.

Today I notice how God paired up Paul and Barnabas. Paul spoke for God, gathering truth from Him and sending it to the new Christian church. Barnabas became his partner and is mentioned nearly thirty times in the book of Acts. Most of those passages show how his gifts complimented Paul’s and were important in their ministry.
As many of the (new believers who) were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need. Thus Joseph, who was also called by the apostles Barnabas (which means son of encouragement), a Levite, a native of Cyprus, sold a field that belonged to him and brought the money and laid it at the apostles’ feet. (Acts 4:34–37)
This first mention of Barnabas shows that right at the beginning, he was given a nickname based on his obvious ability to encourage others. This shows up even more as he met Paul . . .
And when (Paul) had come to Jerusalem, he attempted to join the disciples. And they were all afraid of him, for they did not believe that he was a disciple. But Barnabas took him and brought him to the apostles and declared to them how on the road he had seen the Lord, who spoke to him, and how at Damascus he had preached boldly in the name of Jesus. (Acts 9:26–27)
Without Barnabas, Paul may not have been accepted by the disciples. He also encouraged the rest of the believers and later joined Paul in his teaching ministry . . .  
The report of this came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch. When he came and saw the grace of God, he was glad, and he exhorted them all to remain faithful to the Lord with steadfast purpose, for he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were added to the Lord. So Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul, and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church and taught a great many people. And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians. (Acts 11:22–26)
I remember being asked to teach a young adult class the biblical view of spiritual gifts. Their regular teacher intimidated me with his out-going personality. However, I soon realized he was powerfully gifted in encouragement for as we talked, I became fired up to teach these young men and women what God had taught me. Since then, I’m often drawn to people like him. My tendency to beat myself up needs their giftedness to keep my focus on God’s power not my short-comings.

God knows how this works. He partnered Paul and Barnabas, a blessing in their mutual ministry . . .
Now there were in the church at Antioch prophets and teachers, Barnabas, (others . . . ) and Saul. While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” (Acts 13:1–2)
And after the meeting of the synagogue broke up, many Jews and devout converts to Judaism followed Paul and Barnabas, who, as they spoke with them, urged them to continue in the grace of God. (Acts 13:43)
And Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly, saying, “It was necessary that the word of God be spoken first to you. Since you thrust it aside and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles. (Acts 13:46)
The two of them also defended this change of direction. When they explained, “All the assembly fell silent, and they listened to Barnabas and Paul as they related what signs and wonders God had done through them among the Gentiles.” (Acts 15:12) Soon after that, those who listened came to “one accord” and referred to these two as “our beloved Barnabas and Paul.” (Acts 15:25)

Not only that, Barnabas’ gift of encouragement rubbed off on Paul. He wanted to encourage others and said to Barnabas, “Let us return and visit the brothers in every city where we proclaimed the word of the Lord, and see how they are.” (Acts 15:36)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord God help me to always be aware of how spiritual gifts work in the Body of Christ. Lead me to people who can encourage me. Show me how and when to use my gifts to benefit people. Also keep me aware of my weaknesses and help me accept the spiritual gifts of others to overcome them. As we work together, may Your wisdom shine and may You be greatly glorified.

No comments: