April 29, 2019

At the top of my list . . .


My all-time favorite book has been an all-time best-seller for decades. Actually this book is a collection of sixty-six books, and in that collection, I have some favorites too. It’s a toss-up at times. I love John’s Gospel and really enjoy Romans with its rich teaching of the faith, but also close to the top is Ephesians, a powerful book in the New Testament. At one time, I’d memorized most of it and still refer to it many times. This morning, I found out a bit more by researching the history of the city of Ephesus and comparing that with both books, Ephesians and Acts.

This city was the capital of Asia Minor, a Roman province and the setting for Acts 19. Paul taught there every day for two years and during that time, “The word of the Lord continued to increase and prevail mightily.” (Acts 19:20). Soon a congregation was established with several elders.

However, there was much opposition to Christianity in Ephesus. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 15:32 that he fought beasts there, which could refer to human and demonic opposition. Historical records show the people of this city worshiped up to fifty gods and goddesses. The makers of their main idol angrily rioted because Paul’s message was a threat to their wealth gained from selling this idol to both residents and tourists. Of this and other false teachings, Paul warned the Ephesian elders:

Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood. I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them. Therefore be alert, remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to admonish every one with tears. (Acts 20:28–31)

A few sections in Acts help me understand the richness of Paul’s letter to Ephesus. In that short epistle, he packed in a great deal of truth in the first half and a great deal of information in the second half about how to live out that truth. This is important to all Christians but was especially needed in that city because of its culture and religious beliefs as mentioned above.

This study in Acts has also helped me grasp a deeper understanding of the mind of the Lord. He motivated godly men to record what is important to our spiritual well-being, both now and for future generations. Some of what is told in Acts gives light on what was needed in the various churches who later received further instruction. This shows me that God understands their history and mine also. He prepares the people in His kingdom for the specific issues that will threaten their faith, now or later.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, as I sort, review and purge my bookshelves, I’m also thinking about the richness of my relationship with You and how You have led me through all sorts of trials and good times, teaching me and helping me get a fuller grasp of truth that I can conquer temptation and trust You no matter what comes my way. I see it in Your Word and in the history of the early church too. You are enriching my faith and encouraging me. You are a wonderful Lord and Savior, a dear Friend and my Helper in every need and situation. How I love You and all that Your Word says to me and offers to everyone who read it.


No comments: