April 11, 2019

God can use anything to protect His people


At least once people became upset with Christianity for economic reasons. Acts 19 tells of a threatening situation to those whose wealth depending on making shrines to an idol worshiped in Ephesus. When they heard about the Gospel and about Paul denouncing idolatry, they feared their idol ‘Artemis’ would be “deposed from her magnificence” and they would lose their livelihood. A protest started and a crowd pushed into the theater dragging Paul’s companions with them.

But when Paul wished to go in among the crowd, the disciples would not let him. And even some of the Asiarchs, who were friends of his, sent to him and were urging him not to venture into the theater. (Acts 19:30–31)

The Asiarchs were high-ranking civic officials in the province of Asia, an unexpected source of protection. What happened next was two hours of yelling and crying out support for Artemis, but the town clerk eventually quieted the crowd. He reminded them of their history with this idol then said,

Seeing then that these things cannot be denied, you ought to be quiet and do nothing rash. For you have brought these men here who are neither sacrilegious nor blasphemers of our goddess. If therefore Demetrius and the craftsmen with him have a complaint against anyone, the courts are open, and there are proconsuls. Let them bring charges against one another. But if you seek anything further, it shall be settled in the regular assembly. For we really are in danger of being charged with rioting today, since there is no cause that we can give to justify this commotion.” (Acts 19:36–40)

In other words, if they wanted to get rid of the Christians, they needed to be careful of not breaking the law themselves. Their fears and self-centered motivation would not stand up in a court of law. Their rioting was putting them in further jeopardy. Besides, was not their city “a temple keeper of the great Artemis and of the sacred stone that fell from the sky?” If what they believed was true, then let their god take care of this ‘enemy’ or threat to their livelihood.

This story reminds me of a political situation in this week’s news. Our prime minister was accused by another political leader of several illegal actions. He reacted by threatening to sue his accuser of libel. However, the accuser is certain of his accusation so is daring the leader to take him to court. His response is much like the one posed by the town clerk. “Let the legal system decide.” If wrong is wrong, it will come out. If this is libel, that will come out.

These days it is not often that Christians are protected by law or by non-Christians. We are accused of many things, mostly that we hate or down-grade some groups of people. Our issue is not the people but their actions. What they do is against the will of God because those actions are harmful. Are we certain about our stand? Certain enough to invite a legal trial that proves our point?

The Word of God is the ground we stand on. I know that I can have personal biases too, so need to watch where my convictions come from. I also need to be certain that when I point fingers, I’m not guilty of something myself. I cannot say hate idolatry is wrong if I have my own set of idols, or hatred is wrong if I am hateful. I must always remember that when I speak against sin, that I am also a sinner.

This means the entire human race falls into the same category before God. We all sin and fall short of His glory. (Romans 3:23). Apart from Christ, none of us have any hope. In Christ, there is forgiveness and grace, new life and the promises of God. He is the only division line. Apart from Him, like Paul said, I am the worst of sinners.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You remind me often that finger-pointing has three fingers pointing back at me. I can so easily criticize others but when brought before the only righteous Judge, I am just as guilty. Without Christ, I’ve no claim. Only in You can I say I am forgiven and washed clean. Give me Your righteous attitude toward others, Christian and otherwise. You alone know the heart and You alone are able to change lives, even bring idolaters to worship only You. And as the story of the riot in Ephesus shows, You alone can protect Your people from hate and destruction.


No comments: