April 1, 2019

Keeping Records?


My mom left me with a bundle of five-year diaries. I’m not sure if I will read them, but I understand her desire to write down the events of her life. My personal history may be of little interest to anyone besides me, but it feels important to make notes of it.

Luke felt the same, not about his own life but the life of Christ and the life of the church. He told the stories of what Jesus did and said, then in another letter to the same recipient he continued his narrative about the way Jesus lived and moved in His people during the first few decades of the church.

Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the things that have been accomplished among us, just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word have delivered them to us, it seemed good to me also, having followed all things closely for some time past, to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, that you may have certainty concerning the things you have been taught. (Luke 1:1–4)

In the first book, O Theophilus, I have dealt with all that Jesus began to do and teach, until the day when he was taken up, after he had given commands through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen. He presented himself alive to them after his suffering by many proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God. (Acts 1:1–3)

Luke stresses the importance of an orderly account. I’m thinking of mom’s rambling style. If I had to put her story into a chronological sequence, I would find it difficult. She might be telling of something that happened the day before, but it could be an event from ten years prior. This would confuse me, never mind other readers.

Luke obviously wanted to tell his reader how the work of Christ continued in His people. He also wanted them to know that the promised Holy Spirit came and how that happened. And he wanted it clear, orderly, just as it happened.

Then he (Jesus) opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, and said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things. And behold, I am sending the promise of my Father upon you. But stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high.” (Luke 24:45–49)

And while staying with them he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, “you heard from me; for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.” (Acts 1:4–5)

I know that my mom could not see into the future like Jesus did. I don’t know if she compared her early life with her life as she grew older. I do know she read her Bible faithfully, but I don’t know if she connected the dots from the Old Testament promises to their fulfillment in the NT. However, Luke and the other gospel writers did. All of them wanted readers to know that Jesus Christ keeps His Word and that God has our futures included in His plans.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, thank You for keeping Your people in the loop regarding the early church. You gave us men like Luke to write it down — probably because Paul was far too busy working with and writing about current issues! From beginning to the end of the book I can see Your grace and the way people changed and followed Jesus. From the many examples, I can see areas where I need to change and where I can be a more dedicated and faithful servant. Thank You for putting it into Luke’s heart to write these letters, and into the hearts of others to do the same.

No comments: