January 28, 2019

What about persecution?


Aside from the problems existing in the churches that received letters from Paul, other New Testament books are addressed to the problems of suffering (Hebrews, James, and 1 Peter) and false teaching (2 Peter, 1, 2, and 3 John, and Jude). As the church grew, so did these issues.

Persecution came first from Jewish opponents and later from the Roman government. Because of the peace and other promises of God to believers, this seemed an anomaly. Even today, many Christians are confused by its occurrence. Shouldn’t godly people be protected from attacks?

I’ve read many statistical reports and realize that they vary for several reasons. Some reports include liberal ‘churches’ which may or may not consist of true believers. Some include cults who could be mistreated because they are annoying rather than because they are godly and trusting Jesus Christ. However, it seems safe to say that the numbers of people suffering for their faith in Christ is increasing.

One report defines persecution as any hostility experienced as a result of identification with Christ. This includes torture, imprisonment, loss of home and assets, beheadings, rape and even death. Christian women often face double persecution for faith and gender. Persecution is intensifying in Africa, Asia and the Middle East.

Another says that each month 255 Christians are killed, 104 are abducted, 180 Christian women are raped, sexually harassed or forced into marriage, 66 churches are attacked and 160 Christians are detained without trial and imprisoned. Another report says, “In one part of the globe, over 10,000 Christians have been killed every year since 1950, due to clashes with anti-Christian mobs, infuriated relatives, state-organized death squads, and so on.” Exact numbers are not important as the fact that this is happening. Even though this is shocking, I should not be shocked. Jesus said it would happen. So did the early believers.

Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. But all these things they will do to you on account of my name, because they do not know him who sent me. (John 15:20–21)

Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. (2 Timothy 3:12)

From knowing my own sinfulness, I can say that persecution is the sinful reaction of the human heart against the revelation of Jesus Christ. That is, if someone talks about God, they might be resented, but talk about Jesus Christ is usually resisted in a greater way.
Persecution is also connected to righteousness. If I live an ordinary life, claiming faith in Christ usually does not rile people, but if my life stands out as godly and becomes a rebuke to the sin of others, I may be resented. In our culture, this may not result in violence, but it can still be nasty.

Jesus also tells me how to respond to persecution. I note that He is talking about genuine persecution not feedback from annoying people or flaunting a ‘holier than thou’ attitude.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. (Matthew 5:10–12)
This is as plain as day; if I am living for Christ and others revile me for it, I am not to get upset or even complain about it. Instead, I’m to be glad that I am living the way God wants me to live. Tough assignment!

Not only should I rejoice that this bad treatment marks me out as a godly person, I’m to pray for those who are mistreating me. No one can remain angry with or resentful against people they are praying for . . .
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. (Romans 12:14)
So far, any persecution I’ve experienced has been mild or veiled in the sense that it was not in my face. No one has said words to indicate their mistreatment was based on my faith. Yet whatever might happen, the Lord gives me this admonition:
“. . . When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure.” (1 Corinthians 4:12)
^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, the way the world is going and the way our culture is drifting away from God under the protection of liberal laws favoring ‘human rights’ that often exclude the rights of Christians, I expect persecution will increase where I live. Yet I know people who are serving You in dangerous places where being a Christian is illegal. I can pray for their safety, but also that each one realizes their status before You is high and their responsibility to pray and endure is possible. Your response to mistreatment is our example. May all of us honor You in how we react to persecution.



No comments: