January 21, 2019

God does not make identical cookies . . .


My mother left me a box full of letters. They are a novelty in these days of texting and other means of communication, but a precious record of life when she was alive. Some of them have dates but a few are not dated. With a bit of work, I can use the content to figure out the approximate times those undated letters were written. For instance, if they mention that a certain child was just born, the year is easy to find. If they mention some world event, that is also easy to find.

Dating the books of the New Testament is done that way. I’m not sure how many scholars decided James is likely the earliest book of the New Testament, written about A.D. 45, but most of the other books/letters are easy to date.

For instance, the content gives clues to 1 and 2 Thessalonians by mentioning they were written from Corinth before or during the time of Gallio which would mean A.D. 50 or 51. Galatians could have been written as early as A.D. 47/48. These books show struggles with faith issues such as the place of good works in the life of Christians and the return of Christ.

Some of the writings from John the apostle are considered the last of the books to be written. Tradition and indications in the books themselves reflect problems the Church faced near the end of the first century. John deals with the identity of Jesus Christ as well as salvation issues including how a person can know if they are a child of God.

How important is the order in which the NT was written? I’m not sure. In its present form, it is not in chronological order, which does hint at a major truth concerning my Christian experience. That is, how I or anyone else grows as a Christian is not in a tidy ‘step one, step two, step three’ sequence. This is important when I start comparing my progress to others, when I realize new Christians have a better handle on certain virtues than I do, or when God shows me something that I should have realized years ago. The Christian life if not that orderly. God brings truth to me in the sequence and time that He knows is right for me. I might take years to learn what others understand quickly or I might get it right away but others fail to grasp what I already know.

For instance, the Christians in Thessalonica were quick to get it . . .

And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers. (1 Thessalonians 2:13)

On the other hand, the Christians in Corinth were slower to respond to truth as they struggled with their problems . . .

But I, brothers, could not address you as spiritual people, but as people of the flesh, as infants in Christ. I fed you with milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it. And even now you are not yet ready, for you are still of the flesh. For while there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not of the flesh and behaving only in a human way? (1 Corinthians 3:1–3)

And the church in Galatia struggled with a different problem:

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. (Galatians 1:6–7)

Being a Christian and growing is faith is not a cookie-cutter process. I might have one problem that disappears as soon as it is confessed while another person struggles with a similar issue for a long time. The reverse is also true. No wonder God tells us to stop comparing ourselves with one another, but to keep our eyes on the goal:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1–2)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, it is easy to use others as a measuring stick for my spiritual life, but that leads either to pride or self-pity. Instead, enable me to keep my eyes on You, reading Your Word for what You want to say to me, that I might be obedient and become more like You.



No comments: