January 26, 2019

Practice what I know


Both myself and one of my granddaughters would spend the rest of our lives “going to school if it was economically feasible.” We love to learn. For us, we never complained in those early school days with, “I don’t know why I have to study this because I’ll never need it in my life.”

Yet for me, the biggest challenge always has been applying what I’m learning. The process of learning is wonderful but putting it to use is more challenging, even though I know merely knowing something is worthless if that knowledge has no relevance or is not used in some way. That is, reading a book on how to make pies is a waste of time if it never results in a pie.

Another part of learning that frustrates me is teachers who never give an application with their lessons. They tell you the information but not how to use it. As a Christian, I’ve learned that God is not like that. Besides, He knows that we need all the help we can get in putting truth into practice.

One thing that I’ve noticed when teaching is a lack of response to questions like, “God says we are to maintain unity — so what does that look like?” or “Give me an example of someone who does that?” The blank looks from a class of adult Christians makes me realize I’m not the only one that has trouble with application!

The New Testament is written with that in mind. God knows we can be satisfied with knowing what to do without actually doing what we know, but that indicates we don’t really know it and are not taking God seriously.

Many of the Epistles begin with a section of information then go into describing how to put those truths into practice. Some of them begin that second section with “therefore . . .” strongly indicating that if I know and believe what I just read, then it should affect me in the following ways.

Here are a few examples. In Romans Paul writes a lengthy and reasoning presentation of the Gospel. He describes sin, our need for justification by faith, and the meaning of various terms that God wants us to understand. Then he tells readers what the result of knowing this information should be — it should change our entire lives:

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:1–2)

He does the same in the letter to the church at Ephesus telling them what God has done on their behalf. The first chapter alone is filled with rich descriptions of God’s amazing grace. Then readers are exhorted to respond:

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (Ephesians 4:1–3)

While the author of Hebrews is unknown, many think it was Paul because of the same style. It begins with what God has done and then inserts statements like these:

Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. (Hebrews 2:1)

Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, (Hebrews 6:1)

Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. (Hebrews 10:19–25)

As a teacher, I realize part of my role includes spelling it out with examples. That is, I cannot tell someone to present their bodies as a living sacrifice without a story of someone who gives up their ‘I-wants’ to do the will of God. I cannot say renew your mind without suggestions on how to read and study the Word of God, or showing them how to analyze their ideas and compare them with what God says, and to confess ‘stinking thinking’ and how to meditate and memorize or give them other ways to cement new concepts into their lives.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, Your Word is written to do just that. You present the way You think and plan, tell us all that You have done for us and how much You love us. Our hearts may have been hard for years, but You know how to melt them and give us instructions for life that bring peace and joy. Help me to live in every area of life as You describe I should, to apply the truth You teach and to share the joy of allowing You to change the way I think and behave.

No comments: