January 2, 2019

“I told you this because . . . .”


Philosophers and children in kindergarten wonder how we can be certain that the things we ‘know’ are true. This question could drive me out of my mind. It suggests we are totally deluded and that suggestion is a strong clue to its origin. In the first book of the Bible, Satan in the form of a snake says to Eve, “Did God actually say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?” He has been sending that same doubt about what God says into the hearts of humanity ever since. He also challenges our certainty about everything else.

Putting this question aside, I read again from the book I’ve selected to use this year (see side panel). The author says, “The books of the New Testament were written to instruct local congregations of believers and to inform them of the life and teachings of Christ.” It reminded me of a few verses where the human authors recorded their reasons for writing what they did.

John wrote so I could believe in Jesus . . .  

Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. (John 20:30–31)

As a new Christian, someone told me to read the Gospel of John five times. By following that advice, God firmly cemented in my mind the identity of Jesus. He is the Messiah, the Son of God, fully man and sinless, fully God and filled with love, God in human flesh. His excellence and grace not only convinced me of who He is and why He came, but by believing I have eternal life in His name. Jesus is the greatest event of my life and the Gospel of John was written so I would know about Him, believe in Him, and receive Him as God’s incredible gift.

Luke wrote his Gospel to make sure I understood the life of Christ in an orderly way . . .

It seemed good to me also, having followed all things closely for some time past, to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, that you may have certainty concerning the things you have been taught. (Luke 1:3–4)

This book may or may not have been in chronological order, but in the mind of the author and his readers, what Luke writes is logical. He was a physician and did a careful investigation of the facts about Jesus. I’m not a doctor, but ‘getting it right’ has always been important to me, right down to the use of words. If someone writes ‘your’ and they mean ‘you’re’ I often wonder of the rest of what they write is accurate.

Other authors did not always give their reasons for writing, but John did it again in the first letter he wrote to the churches. He wanted his readers to be sure of their destiny . . .

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. (1 John 5:13)

John wrote of several ways to make certain that my faith is genuine. For the most part, he says that what I believe should change my life and the way I care about other people. That is, if I love God, then I will also love others. Jesus also said this is the ultimate test.

By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. (John 15:8–10, italics mine)

^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, today I hear You say, “If you believe in me, then prove it by sharing the love I’ve shown you with others.” We are invited to a special breakfast this morning, an opportunity to practice what faith tells me to do. Thank You for this opportunity. I also thank You that those who wrote the books of the New Testament had specific reasons for doing so. Sometimes they knew the situations in the churches where their letters were addressed. Sometimes they knew the truths that all readers needed to hear or be reminded of, messages from the Holy Spirit who knows exactly how to speak into our lives. You ‘get specific’ and use whatever has been written because . . .

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16–17)

By telling me about Yourself, I have all that I need to live a godly life. How amazing. I do not know all there is to know, but as You feed me from Your Word, You constantly change how I think, talk and live.



No comments: