January 27, 2019

Faith in Jesus changes priorities


In the era I grew up, people wrote letters. A few still do. I get mail from a friend far away who gives brief descriptions of what is going on in her life and family. Another friend writes Dear _______ letters with almost flowery descriptions of what she is doing, from moving furniture to going for walks. She obviously has a mailing list, filling in the name of each recipient. Sometimes her letters have personal notes at the side or in the margins.

I write letters at Christmas time to family and friends, and during the year to people far away who appreciate getting mail such as missionaries and grandchildren. Many years ago, one missionary couple said I sent more letters than their family did.

This was also the form of communication “in the fullness of time” when God sent Jesus to our world. I’m glad it was then and not now. The Word of God has endured in printed form for centuries. It is still a worldwide best-seller. Imagine how long phone calls, email, texts and twitter messages would last!

Paul wrote nine letters to churches and four to pastors. Most of them were responses to problem situations in the churches. Some are personal in tone, even including non-theological asides such as . . .

When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, also the books, and above all the parchments. (2 Timothy 4:13)

Even though this is not a doctrinal revelation, it does show the priorities of the man God used to write it.

Other books, Romans for instance, are more formal, almost like a thesis with a businesslike tone, yet it also has personal additions such as the greetings in the final chapter. They remind me of the add-ons my friend puts in her form letters. She wants me to know that I am thinking of her.

Paul’s letters feature doctrinal teaching and practical application using a variety of content. He was able to show how living for Christ applies to all of life, not merely a component to put in a box. This also reveals his priorities. He said for himself, to live is Christ and to die (and be with Christ) is gain!

This brings me back to his brief mention of his cloak, books and parchments. Asking for his cloak may indicate he was chilly. This man needed to take care of himself. He was getting older and needed to be wise; getting sick would not enable him to do the things God was asking him to do.

Added to that practical priority, his books and parchments were high on his list. They may have been copies of the Old Testament, but also could be blank writing materials. For Paul, both were vital. He studied and referred often to the OT Scriptures. He also wrote what God was revealing to him, sharing it with those under his care.

^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, very rarely do I write something that surprises me, but that last paragraph does it. I’m not inspired by You in the same way the NT writers were, nor is my content and application considered ‘Scripture’ but many years ago when I asked You what You wanted me to do regarding writing, You clearly told me to make public my daily devotional thoughts. I am awed at Your faithfulness. You always have something to say to my life and situations. Today, You are telling me to keep this activity on my priority list. The size of my audience is up to You as is their receptivity. My priority is to read and listen to You each day, to keep using what You give me in my own life, and to willingly share it with others. Thank You for this unexpected affirmation.

No comments: