January 30, 2019

Knowing the future . . .


I might say that I don’t want to know the future but doesn’t everyone? Last night in a long conversation about politics, it was obvious that the person on the other end of the telephone wanted to know, even control the days ahead by knowing what will happen next. He was hoping for a good government, peace and prosperity. Doesn’t everyone?

However, both of us know the biblical prophecies. God promises to bring in a “new heaven and a new earth” but before that happens, life will not be pretty, even for the people of God. While there is much debate about the exact meaning of those prophecies, I don’t want to forget that the last book of the New Testament begins with an amazing promise:

Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near. (Revelation 1:3)

God tells me to read it aloud. Immediately I remember that He says, “So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.” (Romans 10:17) Faith is not limited to verbal; I can believe and grow in faith by reading, but there is something about hearing that is important.

God also says to obey what this last book says. That is an interesting challenge. It was written by the apostle John while in exile on the island of Patmos, off the coast of present-day Turkey and addressed to seven actual churches of that time. John forwards letters from Christ Himself, letters that include commendation, criticism, and comfort. Some of what He tells them is applicable to me. For instance:

I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name’s sake, and you have not grown weary. But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. (Revelation 2:3–4)

When I read this, I have to examine myself. Do I love God and love others as much as I did when Christ first touched my life? I hope so, yet need to continue reading these admonitions and making sure I obey them.

After these seven letters is a long series of visions of judgment on the wicked. The language is highly symbolic but the ending is clear. Despite the violence and stress, Jesus wins. He triumphs as “King of kings and Lord of lords” (19:16), brings an end to sinful rebellion and establishes “a new heaven and a new earth” (21:1), where God himself will reign forever and ever (11:15). This is the climax of our redemption and God’s purpose — which He is . . . 

making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth. (Ephesians 1:9–10)

Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he shall reign forever and ever.” (Revelation 11:15)

In last night’s conversation, I kept going back to this final outcome. The promises of God are certain. No matter the years of ups and downs in worldly politics, prosperity and wars, Jesus will return and establish His kingdom. No one knows the day or the hour, but we do have the promises.

Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power . . . (Hebrews 1:1–3)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I’m at peace even in this troubled world because I know that You are not stumped by it, nor thwarted. Human rule rises and falls yet You have a plan and that plan will be fulfilled. You are God who does not fail. Your Word upholds the universe and what You say has the power to bring us first to our knees and then to our feet in a victory of worshiping You forever.


No comments: