December 26, 2011

God is with us

Yesterday my husband read a selection from a book by Max Lucado that I discovered on a blog. As he read, a stillness filled the room and the presence of Jesus became obvious. We experienced a surprising moment of awe and worship.

Today I’m reading verses where God promised to be with His people. Most of these are the words of Jesus, but they begin with the promise of His coming and the amazing idea God becoming man and entering our world.

Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel (which means, God with us). (Matthew 1:23)
We have been singing the carols and enjoying that sense of Him being with us. For many, this “magic” is gone by now for thoughts go back to their normal busy lives, focused on other things. But Jesus He has not gone. His presence with His people is as real every day as it is on Christmas day. He said it would be so, emphasizing various contexts.
IN PRAYER: Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them. (Matthew 18:19–20)
IN OUTREACH: And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18–20)
IN MINISTRY: If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him. (John 12:26)
IN THREATENING SITUATIONS: And the Lord said to Paul one night in a vision, “Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent, for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you, for I have many in this city who are my people.” (Acts 18:9–10)
IN ETERNITY: And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. (John 14:3)
Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. (John 17:24)
*********
Emmanuel, how wonderful! You are with me all the time. All I need to do is remember Your words; You promised to be with me and I believe You. When I think about this, it becomes a reality, an experienced sensation like the solemn stillness of a holy place, or the joy of a thousand voices singing Your praises.

On those few occasions when, no matter what I thought or tried, that sense of Your presence didn’t happen (very few times), even then I knew. Because You said You would be with me, I knew You were, even when I could not “feel” it. Thank You for such incredible assurance. Thank You that Your Word and promises are true and that You allow Your people the reality of You, God with us, every day and in all that we do. 

2 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Elsie!

I just want to say thanks for this wonderful post on your blog! I too, am amazed and humbled that God chose to come close and lives among us!

Blessings, Friend!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Why thank you! The fact of God with us blows me away too. He is so good.

Blessings to you also and a very happy New Year.