December 20, 2011

Compelling power of the Cross

One boy tells another, “If you don’t know the answer in Sunday school, just say ‘Jesus’ and you should be okay.”
I ask many questions to the ladies in my adult class. Sometimes the direct answer is Jesus and nearly every time, they respond with this boy’s story in mind, smiling because it is so obvious.

A few years ago, a pastor told me that jesting aside, his Bible study class finally realized that the way to discern the answer to any problem, theological or life-related, was to take a good look at Jesus. He is the standard and the answer to all questions. He is everything we need. 

The reason for this is as the Bible teaches. As sinners, not one of us is what we could be. Romans 3:23 says, “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”

Yet by grace, the glory of God is held before us and available in a person, one who is sinless and without any fault or disobedience. John said of Him, “The Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth” (John 1:14).

Jesus is the perfect person, the measurement God uses to see where I am in my spiritual growth and daily life. If I measure myself by other people or human standards, I might lean to either pride or a pity-party, but with Christ as my answer, I am humbled yet given great hope.

When it comes to ministry to others, most Christians want hurting people to think right, feel good, have their needs met, and be comforted in their trials. Yet this is not necessarily all that Jesus has in mind. He knows how human sympathy can ignore the issue of sin. When trying to bless others, Jesus as our answer must come into the situation, but not merely the “nice” life of Jesus. He is the answer only because He died for our sin.

And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself. (John 12:32)
Jesus says that by His death, people are drawn to Him. Actually, we cannot come to God by any other avenue. He will not accept our goodness, kindness or any other human niceness. The only way we can come to God and receive blessing from Him is because Jesus died for our sin, a severe and necessary sacrifice, yet horrible. The Cross is no mere gold ornament on a chain. It is a place of great suffering for the Lord of lords, the stark reality of what must happen so we can be set free from sin and the sorrowful results of sin.

That means that when I encounter people in need, I must realize their greatest need. Food, clothing, shelter, even sympathy and kindness are important, but behind all of this, without Jesus, people are lost. No amount of any other kind of help will save them from the very worst fate. Their answer is Jesus.

One author goes so far as to say that if I can help others by my sympathy or understanding, I am a traitor to Jesus Christ. I cannot keep my own soul rightly related to God if I pour out for others in a very human way of ministry that ignores Jesus Christ and the Cross. This author calls that “amiable religiosity.”

Instead, I am to exhibit Jesus Christ crucified and lift Him up — in every situation. If not, then I will not only be going astray myself, but will distract others from the most important need of their life, no matter their situation. I lift up Jesus by living in right relationship with Him. My life and my words must point to Him, to how I need Him. The answer is always Jesus.

Thus, the calling of every Christian is to uncover sin and reveal Jesus Christ as Savior. This is not about saying comforting words, even though comfort will come. It is not about speaking beautiful sermons, or teaching with great skill. It is not about kindness, generosity, or making people feel good, even though all this can be part of it. Instead, it is about pointing others to the One who lived and died for them, the One who lives again that they might be forgiven, have eternal life, and live in right relationship to God, no matter their situation. Joni Erickson Tada did not become a servant of God because people constantly comforted her in her paralysis. She became a servant of God because Jesus Christ challenged her to die to self, as He did, and allow His life to become her life.

Many people need Jesus. My cousin is in full-time care because of a stroke. A friend’s daughter is immobile from the neck down for the same reason. How can they be blessed? By sympathy and cards and gifts of flowers? Of course those can be given, but the answer is always Jesus.

One of these two needy people knows Him, is not complaining or looking for temporary comfort in any other source. He is her life and her answer. The other needs kindness and whatever else can be given, but most of all, He needs Jesus and the solutions that are found in His death and resurrection.

**********
Lord, I absolutely ache that others know You. There is the greatest joy in right relationship with You, yet You offer more than joy. In You is all that is needed for life, including any horrific challenges that people experience. Because You died on that Cross, we can know and possess Your very life. With You living in us, we can overcome. For some, the trials are resolved. For others, the trials remain but so do You. With You, we have all we need. You are the answer. Help me be ever aware and always prepared to share You with others in whatever way will most benefit them. Rather than offering any temporary “fix,” I want them to know the One who is eternal.

No comments: