December 15, 2011

God’s Surprises

Sometimes the Word of God touches me deeply, leaving me with little left to say. This morning I came to the following passage without a particular need in mind, yet God knows how I have been burdened and prayed many years for the spiritual life of my children. As I read these words, God again whispered, “This is for you.”
“For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed,” says the LORD, who has compassion on you. “O afflicted one, storm-tossed and not comforted, behold, I will set your stones in antimony, and lay your foundations with sapphires. I will make your pinnacles of agate, your gates of carbuncles, and all your wall of precious stones. All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; and from terror, for it shall not come near you. If anyone stirs up strife, it is not from me; whoever stirs up strife with you shall fall because of you. Behold, I have created the smith who blows the fire of coals and produces a weapon for its purpose. I have also created the ravager to destroy; no weapon that is fashioned against you shall succeed, and you shall refute every tongue that rises against you in judgment. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD and their vindication from me, declares the LORD.” (Isaiah 54:10–17)
Each day, the Word of God speaks to my heart and life. Yet every now and then, He surprises me with a special “rhema” — Greek for “a word from God that meets a particular need of the moment.” This passage was written to the Jews, yet God can lift it out of its context and drop it into my heart, reminding me that this is the kind of God He is, and this is the kind of things that He does.

I tend to forget that God does things that I cannot see. By doing that, I tend to forget that He hears every prayer and is working on the answer. He urges me to walk by faith, not by sight or depending on results to keep me going.

When He speaks “rhema” to my need, it can be about something in me that I am not aware of, a problem or a concern that He sees and brings to light for my obedience. My need can also be a heavy burden in my heart and He lifts it with a special promise. Or, like today, that need can be a daily and continual desire of my heart that has seen no answer, heard no promise, a deep thing that clings to me. It is less like a need of the moment and more like a permanent fixture. Sometimes it gets me down without me being conscious that I need “rhema” for it. But He knows — and He speaks.

*********
Lord, You have all the right words today. I know that when You say something, You stand behind it. Your Word is firm and final. You keep it. All I can do is bow my head and be glad. All I can offer is praise for Your faithfulness. Bless You and bless Your sustaining words.

No comments: