December 7, 2011

Conforming, but not for the usual reasons

Not too many years ago, Christian missionaries made the mistake of trying to “westernize” the people in other countries, conforming them to our way of life. That policy has changed. Now, most missionaries go to learn all they can about a new culture and language. They eat new food, live in houses unlike their previous homes, and essentially live as much like the people as they can. They do this to show their love for them (“I accept you” rather than “You must be like me”) and to gain the right to be heard.

The apostle Paul had this second view of missions. His model was based on conforming, but instead of expecting others to do it, he did it for them. He knew that salvation in Christ sets him free from needing to win the approval of others. He also knew that Jesus gave him a heart to serve others and no one can do that from a pedestal.

For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings. (1 Corinthians 9:19–23)
Those who write Bible commentaries go into great detail trying to explain what Paul means in this passage. For instance, he was already a Jew so how could be become “as a Jew” in order to win them? Who are the weak? What does it mean to be “under the law”?

Proper interpretation is important, yet there is a general sense of this passage that I do understand. Paul was eager to reach others with the Gospel and see them come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, so he denied himself. He would not sin against God to save someone’s soul, and he would not give up the freedom he had as a believer, but he would yield whatever he could for the good of others.

Some might think that becoming “all things to all men” means bending to peer pressure and not having your own principles, but this was just the opposite. Paul was no people-pleaser trying to impress others or win their approval of him. Every move he made was calculated to further his pursuit of the prize of being like Jesus. Every act of self-denial was a blow struck to defeat his (and my) spiritual enemy and release souls from bondage.

To achieve this, Paul would not let his body master him (see the rest of this passage). He denied all personal demands for rightful privileges and pleasures. He had a greater good in mind so he mastered both sin and legitimate desires, disciplining his body as well as his soul.

One writer says that “any heart warmed with zeal for God and a deep desire for the salvation of others will not insist upon any rights and privileges that interfere” with this motivation. Some have abused their power in the gospel and by doing so have destroyed the faith of others. Such abusers know nothing about the spirit of the Gospel or the example of Paul and of Jesus Christ.

Actually, Jesus is always the ultimate example of anything that Paul is trying to explain. If anyone had the authority to demand rights, Jesus did. However, He did not demand anything. He laid aside His equality with God (deity) to become a servant who said, “Not my will, but Thine be done.”

Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (Philippians 2:5–8)
This attitude is what Paul models, willing to become one of us that we might be saved. The details of how and what are not as important as the attitude, and perhaps that is the reason Paul’s words are a bit obscure. By reading Jesus’ motivation alongside Paul’s, I can easily see what God wants from me.

*********
Lord, sometimes my battlefield is a choice between flesh and the Spirit, or between living for now or for eternity. I have battled at times with selfishness vs. obedience. Today, You speak to me about my right to choose between any of the many freedoms You have given me, OR giving up those freedoms in order present and magnify Christ to others who do not yet know You. If I love You and love my neighbor, then I must choose to be and do whatever You ask. Because of You and Your grace, may I be more than a conqueror in whatever battles I face today.

No comments: