December 19, 2011

Trusting God with bad news

Hearing bad news in the lives of others makes me feel somewhat uncomfortable talking about the good things going on in my own life. And at times, their bad news is like a warning that anything can happen to anyone. Will I be next?

This past week I was made aware that a friend’s daughter had a stroke that left her paralyzed. A cousin also had a stroke that put him into a full-time care facility. The newspaper is filled with sad stories, but these two are closer to home.

When things like this happen, I can dwell on the “what if’s” of life and become anxious. Life is not predictable. However, today’s devotional has something to say about how to respond to life’s unexpected nature. It begins with this verse.

The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD. (Proverbs 16:33)
In those days, the people of God sometimes used the equivalent of dice to make decisions. They knew that God could make the die go whatever way He wanted so they trusted Him when they cast their lots. Spurgeon asks, if the simple casting of a lot is guided by God, how much more the events of our entire life? Then he reminds me of another reality about God.
Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows. (Luke 12:6–7)
If God cares about sparrows, even about the number of hairs I have, then surely He cares for me. I need to focus on who God is, rather than having fearful thoughts about the future. This is important for several reasons. When I am anxious about anything, I cannot pray with faith. When the troubles of this world occupy my mind, serving Jesus is pushed to the side. When I worry about what might next happen to me or my loved ones, my mind is filled with myself, not the Spirit of God. Instead of abiding in Christ, I am tied up in myself.

Jesus said, “Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you” (Matthew 6:33) and not to be anxious about tomorrow. He is in charge. When I think otherwise and fret about it, I am meddling with Christ’s business, and neglecting my own. My place is not to fix or provide or arrange, but to obey. As Spurgeon says, it is wise to attend to the obeying and let Christ manage the providing.

If I get my eyes off circumstances and worries about possible circumstances, then I can see the great provision of God more clearly. I can see His heart of mercy, His inscrutable wisdom. He never makes mistakes, no matter my anxieties or even my opinion.

Most of all, God has always dealt graciously with me. Because He remembers even sparrows, will He will never forget even the least of His children. I can cast all my burdens on Him for He has promised to never suffer the righteous to be moved.

********
Lord, this season when joy is proclaimed and the good news of the birth of Jesus Christ is celebrated, there are sad events and news that is not so good. Yet You are still God. Every trial I have ever experienced has worked good in my life because You know what You are doing. While I do not understand the trials that others experience, I need to have the same confidence in You — for them. You control the roll of the die. How much more is Your hand involved in each event of life, working out Your plan to draw each one of us closer to You. If I can help others, I will, but worry is no help. Move me from being anxious or self-centered about anything and grant me the grace to trust You with all my heart — no matter what is happening.

No comments: